Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How does vista run with games?

• Please log in to reply

reforrest

reforrest

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello,

I've been thinking about purchaseing windows vista 64. I use my PC for mainly playing video games but also video editing, picture editing etc. I keep hearing that this is not a good way to go but no one gives me any info on why other than "it slows down game performance". I heard from a tech guy on a video game forum that it use to be this way, but it was because of the drivers, not Vista it's self. Now [he says] that the drivers have caught up and it isn't an issue anymore.

I understand that it needs quite a bit of RAM to run but I'm pretty sure I could rock it with my hardware. If I don't like it, can I revert back to XP?

My Specs:

AMD 6400+ 3.2 duel core
Gigabyte DS5 AM2/AM2+ Socket
2 gigs PC800 DDR2 RAM
BFG 8800 GTX

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I use Vista x64 on my gaming computer and I love it. For video and picture editing, 64-bit makes even more sense since those programs take advantage of large amounts of RAM. XP does get more FPS in some situations, but then again you don't get DX10 graphics. Once you go to Vista, you'll need to re-install XP if you want to go back to it. There is no "undo" button. However once you try Vista, I doubt you'll want to go back. :)

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
They are not able to provide you with substantive info because they are regurgitating old, outdated info. The real facts are that vista plays games really well. Sometimes the UAC (access control) gets in the way of older games. Thats about it. When you consider x64 and 4 or more gigs of memory, its an even better option.

The early performance issues were driver related. Since then drives have improved a lot. You are more likely to get performance issues playing with high resolutions than you are from anything else.

Looking at your system specs, you shouldn't have any issues playing any game that iis currently out.

reforrest

reforrest

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
thanks for the info fellas, I have some PC issues right now but when I get them sorted I'll consider this as an option.