Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sonata III...static discharge problem

• Please log in to reply

mfarre03

mfarre03

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
I was thinking about going with the Sonata combo that you mention in the 1k computer build but I have been reading a lot about a static discharge problem. Some people say that if you just touch the front of the computer it will reboot if the static is high enough. I noticed the hair on my arms standing up while lying next to my Grid Ultra Case, has anyone else had this problem?>

Advertisements

mfarre03

mfarre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Ok, either no one has ever had a static/case problem or nobody cares....

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I find that to be unlikely. I have heard of that happening to systems before but I don't think the case it to blame.

It happens at my work occasionly where the carpet produces a lot of static. I havn't heard of it outside of that.

Edited by Titan8990, 19 March 2008 - 09:48 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
While I have heard of this issue, it seems to be quite isolated and I believe there are other factors at play here.
You would have to send an enormous shock (of which static electricity cannot produce) to reboot a computer in this fashion, that being said, if the computer is not set up properly such as the user not suing stand offs, the static could be just enough to create some kind of a short. While this would be extremely unlikely and I doubt it's even possible, this is the only explanation that I can come up with that may cause the problem that some complain about.

It happens at my work occasionly where the carpet produces a lot of static. I havn't heard of it outside of that.

This could also be an explanation, but in any case a PC should always be elevated off the carpet, static being one of the primary reasons, dust being another.
James