Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help...

• Please log in to reply

mountier

mountier

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I am in desperate need of help my computer is not running properly and now wont even load windows (which is a different issue all together).

I am still currently using Windows XP and have a decent spec, however my computer is going unbelievabley slow e.g. when trying to run programs such as IE or even just opening up my computer it freezes, this is only after a few mins!

Here is my Spec:

Operating System: Windows XP
Motherboard: ALiveNF6G-VSTA
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ 3.0ghz
Hardrive: 80 GB Western Digital
160 GB Maxtor
Ram: 2x 1GB Corsair 800mhz
Graphics: ATI Radeon X1650 Pro 512MB DDR2 PCI - E

Power Supply: AOPEN 400W

(I haven't put the sound card and DVD drives down as I didn't thing either would be causing problem, if I am wrong please ask for them aswell.)

I really don't know why my computer is running so slow? Surely this is a good enough spec to make my computer it run at least a decent speed?

My only real idea is that the Power Supply is not high enough to run this spec. :S

I am very inexperiened when coming to computers so I really don't know if buying a new power supply would make any difference as I have dished out loads of money over Christmas to make my computer run a lot faster I really don't want to dish out massively with out knowing the specified problem, as the money I dished out over christmas really hasn't been money well spent so far. This is the first computer and have made many updates over the last two years to it and only the 80 GB HD and the Power supply are the things that have remained since the start.

I am open to any suggestions as I need any help I can get!

Thanks,
Mountier

Advertisements

hidyjane

hidyjane

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi
Just a quick suggestion (You may want to wait for a better techie).

Once you have got the computer to boot, try checking your system for errors;
Goto 'My Computer'
Right click on your hard drive (Usually 'c')
Select properties
Select tools
Select 'Check now'
Tick both the boxes and select 'Start'

The computer will ask if you would like to do the checking at your next start up. Select 'yes'

Restart your computer and a series of checks will commence, usually takes a while. If it finds system errors it usually fixes them for you. After the check has finished you may want to check your antivirus and spyware status.

Hope this helps
Hidyjane