Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse "Double-Clicking" Issue

• Please log in to reply

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Hey Geeks!

Since I've gotten back to school I've noticed a strange problem with my mouse. I noticed it when I was playing a game and I would keep deselecting things I didn't mean to deselect. I thought maybe the game was just being weird but this morning I tried to delete multiple files (Ctrl-Clicking each item) and after 1 or 2 items the computer would open all of them. Or if I opened a small window and tried to click-drag it, the window would just maximize.

I've never experienced a problem like this before, even just two days ago when I was at home the mouse was fine. I'm pretty sure I have everything connected as it was before, too.

Any ideas? (And I've already checked the double-click speed in options panel, that is at it's normal dbl-click rate)

Thanks! :)

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello BlackPandemic,

Have you tried connecting a diffrent mouse to the computer?
If so, did it do the same thing?

Regards,
Olrik

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
At the moment I only have my one mouse with me at school. When I get back to my room (as I thought of that idea as I was walking to class) I'll first try connecting my mouse to my roommates computer to see if it's a mouse issue. If it doesn't act up on his computer I'll try another mouse on my computer.

I've tried restarting, plugging the mouse directly into the computer and plugging it into a USB-hub.

Will edit post once I've tried. Thanks!

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Keep in mind that a reply on the topic will result in a mail that will be sent to my e-mail address :)
I think you could say that I'm lazy :) :)

Regards,
Olrik

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Well I plugged in my roommates mouse and it worked fine. So I guess:
A) Something happened during travel
B) Perhaps something is in the mouse under the button as it's not a constant double clicking?

Parents are willing to buy a new mouse but I won't make them do that unless this can't be "fixed"

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I am thinking B. But the mouse could've just died.
Most of the times I'd say its not wise to open up a mouse.

What sort of mouse do you have?

Regards,
Olrik

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
It's a Logitech MX-518 and I did a few hits of compressed air into the buttons but *shrugs*

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
That's funny.. Last week I went to a person to fix his PC for him. He also had a mouse which double-clicked when you really didn't want it.
It was exactly the same mouse.

If a few hits of compressed air under the buttons didn't work I'm affraid it could be broken.

Regards,
Olrik