Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Computer

• Please log in to reply

ctbco

ctbco

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
My computer is about two to three years old. In the last few weeks Ive noticed it has been VERY slow. This is a company computer so there is certain software and files I know that I cannot delete. Ive scanned my computer once a week for any sort of virus but I only get a tracking cookie every time.

Can anyone help me figure out what files I can delete?

Advertisements

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
hi ctbco :)

try just doing some general maintenance. Run ccleaner to get rid of temp files (definitely not needed), then defrag also start>programs>accessories>system tools

ctbco

ctbco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well Hi MichWasHere!

Thank you for the ideas! I do both of them all the time.
I just thought there would be something else I could do or a different sort of software or tool to use to get rid of some stuff that I do not need.
I defrag once a week and get rid of my temp files once a week also.
if you have any other ideas, I would love to hear about them!
Thanks again!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What does Task Manager show you? Click on the Processes tab then click on teh CPU column header twice to sort the display by CPU utilization, descending. What is running and using all the CPU?

Note that System Idle Process is a measure of how much unused CPU cycles there are so the large it is, the better.

ctbco

ctbco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
System Idle Process was at 98 under the CPU column
so I really dont know why its so slow then

ctbco

ctbco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I did a virus scan today and again...the only thing I get is a tracking cookie out of the 985,000 files it goes through.
I just thought there would be a simple way of clearing out un-needed files or something.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Perhaps the hard drive is running in PIO mode instead of DMA mode. See here: http://www.geekstogo...18#entry1115918

ctbco

ctbco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
well, I checked and Device 0 and 1 are both DMA mode.
sorry to be a pain but thank you for helping

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem. Try the following:

First, even though this is unlikely being behind a company firewall, physically disconnect from the Internet to prevent a malware infection while your Anti-virus and/or Firewall are disabled in the following steps, then do a normal boot:

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab and disable everything (I mean everything).
Do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, click on the Services tab. Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.

Reconnect to the Internet when your AV and firewall are active again.