Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange Standby - Shutdown Problem

• Please log in to reply

Jamen

Jamen

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have been having this problem for a month or so now and I would really like to solve it if possible.

What happens is that Standby is normal one time and then when I go online again and try to go to standby, it will go through all the motions but when it beeps, instead of the power supply powering off, it just keeps running and is unresponsive to any key strokes. I have to hold the power button for 4 secs to shut the system down. This will happen every other time. . When Standby does work and the computer resumes, I get the message that Windows is shutting down even though it's starting up. Everything else is normal though and then the next time I go to Standby, it will fail again as described.

If I had a wrong setting, why would it only happen every other session and not all the time? And it's very regular. It has always alternated like this.

Advertisements

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Have you tried running a scan disk?

Jamen

Jamen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,

Yes I have a while back. I'll try it again though.

My power management settings seem to be fine though.

Jamen

Jamen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, I just ran chkdsk and it came back clean. What is making this hard to search is that it alternates.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Did you make any changes to the computer around the time it started not working, like adding or removing hardware or software or updating any of your drivers?

If this worked okay before, try doing a System Restore to a date before it started happening, see if that helps.

Jamen

Jamen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
This has been going on for a long enough time that I'm not sure whether I had added any software at the time. The only hardware was a Canon S2 camera but even that might have been quite a while before this started happening.

I did a system restore shortly after it first started but same results. I've also had a crash that required me to repair using the system disk but still the same behavior.

What has messed up my google search is the fact that it alternates. I have no idea what would be causing the alternation or where to look for that type of behavior. When resuming from standby works though it also says "windows is shutting down".

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Is this a desktop or a laptop?

Jamen

Jamen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Sorry for the late reply.

This is a desk top. It's an older emachines w1800. Other than this, it seems to run fine. I do get an occasional crash from a driver but not anything regular. Security is AVG Free, Zonealarm, Spywareblaster, Adaware, Spybot, SpywareGuard all up to date. It has 2 gb ram, 300 gb hard drive.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sounds like a decent machine. My recommendation would be to stop using Standby, disable Hibernate and just use the Desktop Screen Saver Power settings.

I have mine set to turn off the monitor after 10 minutes and the hard drive after 30 minutes.

The reason I say this is desktop system hardware is really not designed to use Standby like a laptop is.

You could try using Device Manager to roll back your video driver and any others you updated around the time the problem started occurring, see if that helps, but I still think not using Standby and disabling Hibernate is the way to go.