Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Burning Issues

• Please log in to reply

Cygnus

Cygnus

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Good day~

My CD/DVD burner keeps giving me issues when burning DVDs.
CDs work although I have had bugs with the Windows "Record now" software from time to time.

I have been using Nero burning Rom 6, but for the last few months it has been a problem with DVDs.
I get power calibration errors.

I tried Sonic Record Now and it failed, giving me px errors. I D/L the patch for that and am waiting for a download to finish before I can restart and see if it helps. But I do not see how it would relate to Nero and why I can do CDs but not DVDs. It will not even do a data DVD. I have tried several different brands of DVD with the same results.

Advertisements

Cygnus

Cygnus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
The patch changed nothing. It will recognize DVD in the drive but burns just do not work.

Any ideas....anyone???

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I would think your dvd burner is dying and it is time to buy a new one. If not uninstall your software, scan for virus', spyware, adware, and also clean your windows registry if you have a tool like system mechanic.

Remember that you should never be using the pc when your burning any disc. Always restart your pc when burning to have a clean boot without any programs open or anything else running. Make sure hibernation, sleep mode, or power off mode is off of your windows desktop settings so it does not make your pc or hdd's sleep while burning. You should always burn cds at 8x as it is the optimal speed for use when burning cd-r's. Dvds should always be burnt at 4x as it is also the optimal speed for burning video or data [that is if your dvd burner can go up to that speed]. If not than I guess you have an old burner and you do need to buy a new one.

Burners go and frequently after much use it's inevitable. You can purchase a new burner for $20-$30 or more.

Wish you the best!

Source? Me an avid burner with over 3000 burns under my belt!

Edited by superstar, 26 March 2008 - 10:08 AM.