Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory Wipe?

• Please log in to reply

IceKeyMaster

IceKeyMaster

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
This may be a stupid question, but my old computer has TONS of viruses, but it was a preaty nice computer. Is there a free way to wipe it of all it's programs, viruses, ect? Also, is there anything I need to install? I mean I need to instal the Os for sure, but besides that.

Advertisements

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
If you bought the system from a store, then you will need the original disk called "Windows "insert OS here" recovery.

Turn off your Computer and then put in the Recovery disk. It should boot up from the CD and will ask you to reformat.

then just follow the instructions and there you go! :)

i may be wrong.

IceKeyMaster

IceKeyMaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

If you bought the system from a store, then you will need the original disk called "Windows "insert OS here" recovery.

Turn off your Computer and then put in the Recovery disk. It should boot up from the CD and will ask you to reformat.

then just follow the instructions and there you go! :)

i may be wrong.

I didn't get that disk :).

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
if there is a local computer store in your area, just go up to their support section and ask if they have 1 or 2 of those disks. You may be able to get one for little to nothing.

Or you could just bring your computer to them and have them fix it.

~~~~~

Do you have a XP or other OS installation CD? because during the installation process, it will format your HD too.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can buy xp home for about $100.00 but the malware guys can probably get you cleaned up ..it costs nothing but your time AND you will learn in the process
Please go to the malware forum Start HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then start a new topic in the MALWARE FORUM forum here...