Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My wireless is incredibly slow...

• Please log in to reply

Hexzar

Hexzar

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
This is such an annoying problem, and i really wish i knew why it is happening. My wireless connection is very very slow, when browsing pages it is slow and sometimes says connection timed out. And the annoying part is, the status is always - excellent/very good.

So what can be the problem? When i first connect it, it's fast and fine. Then randomly after 10-15 mins it gets incredibly slow, with downloads around 1.3kb/s - 7kbs.

My wireless router is less than 3m-4m away from me. It's just downstairs, and im upstairs in my room...

What could be causing the slowness?

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello Hexzar, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
There are a lot of things that can cause interference with your wireless signal.
  • Light dimmer switches.
  • Fans.
  • Telephones.
  • Televisions.
Basicly any thing electrical can cause interference.
Since your signal comes and goes, I would suspect that this is the issue.
Try moving the router to a different posistion, even a foot may do the trick.
Pay attention to what is being used when the signal gets slow, and move the router away from that item.

Hexzar

Hexzar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Thanks alot hfcg... my router was in fact right next to the TV. I moved it to another room where there aren't any electricals and it's proven to been great.