Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Another "No Connectivity"

• Please log in to reply

AlphaFloor

AlphaFloor

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello! How are we all doing. I was wondering if anyone can help me out here. Ive done multiple searches, read through alot of topics regarding the "Acquiring Network Address" and "no or limited connectivity" and none have helped me. Ive even gone as far as formatting the computer's hard drive, applying that little patch by Microsoft for XP SP2 and it still does not work. I am using an ADSL Speedtouch 536V6 modem (2mbps connection) with a network Hub (Encore Electronics, 8 port Nway switch) with 2 Desktop pcs connected. The problem PC (office computer) has an onboard VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter, Windows XP SP2. Ive disabled all firewalls including the one in the modem, and i am able to access the modem configuration webpage through this computer (my room) and also the internet, however i cannot access the modem config webpage from the office computer, neither the internet. The last time it worked was last night, but this morning when i turned it on the "limited or no connectivity" message appeared. Thinking it was a damaged cable, i tested the exact same cable through the same port to my "room pc" and all worked well. Now thinking that it was a problem with the hub, i connected the ethernet cable from the "office pc" directly to the Modem and the internet appeared to work only it was extremely slow, slower than a 56K dial up connection, and the connectivity message disappeared. Ive checked the Device Manager and there are no problems in there, i did the IP Ping thingy and got the 4 returns (after reading that if you dont get 4 returns its a sign that the network card is dead). Heres the result of the ipconfig /all prompt.(this is what it is after the hard drive format, before the format it was slightly different and the IP addresses looked normal and started with 169, but DHCP was enabled and autoconfiguration was enabled)

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name....................................: home-52bccf68b2
Primary Dns Suffix.........................:
Node Type.....................................:Broadcast
Ip Routing Enabled..........................:No
WINS Proxy Enabled........................:No

Adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-Specific DNS Suffix......................:
Description...................................................:VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address...........................................:00-01-29-D0-36-A8
DHCP Enabled...............................................:Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled..............................:Yes
IP Address....................................................:0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask.................................................:0.0.0.0
Default Gateway............................................:
DHCP Server................................................:255.255.255.255

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!
Bryan

(oh and even though its set to obtain IP address automatically, i tried setting it manually and the Lan connection became connected but i was unable to load any webpages and still could not access my modem)

Advertisements

AlphaFloor

AlphaFloor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
anyone please?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
The biggest issue I see that wasnt addressed is what is the IP of the gateway / router?

When you manually set the IP what did you put in the default gateway field?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello AlphaFloor,

Try the following:
  • Go to Start -> Run.
  • In the Box, type in "cmd".
  • A black box will appear. Type in: "ipconfig /release".
  • After it is done releasing. Type in: "ipconfig /renew".
  • This should renew your connection with your gateway.

If this doesn't fix it, please follow the steps below.

• Go to Start -> Run.
  • In the Box, type in "cmd".
  • A black box will appear. Type in: "ipconfig /all".
  • A lot of information will appear, Please right click the black window and hit mark.
  • Select every line of text you recieved and copy it into your next reply.

Regards,
Olrik

Edited by Artellos, 05 April 2008 - 08:04 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and use the tweak test on the problem computer...do it with it connected directly to the modem...report back what it finds