Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File Sharing prompts for user name/password

• Please log in to reply

fear187

fear187

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Windows XP Pro SP2
Simple file sharing turned off

When I create a folder on my desktop, right click on it and share it. Under shared permissions and security I set the "Everyone" group to full control/rights yet, if you are on another computer and try to browse my computer.. before it will let you, it prompts for a user name and password and I have no idea how to stop it from doing that? Any ideas?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Give This tutorial by SpaceCowboy706 a read, it's got just about everything you'd need to know..

fear187

fear187

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I browsed that =) But it doesn't mention anything (that I saw) about why when you file share it'll ask you for a user name and password? That's a good how to.

So basically when I share a folder, I don't have to set the stuff in the "share permission", just leave that alone and set the stuff only in the "security" tab (atleast that's what I got out of the article).

fear187

fear187

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
bump

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well the point of linking to that tutorial was to make sure that you went through and properly set up a workgroup...and set the sharing settings correctly (pretty sure you've got to turn off simple file sharing)