Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firewall Issues

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

I've got this little problem myself :)

I was running avast! 4.7 and Comodo Pro Firewall 3 until recently when I scored a free copy of CA Internet Security Suite via a rebate. :)

After testing the CA Suite on an old XP box I have lying around, I decided I liked it and wanted it for my main machine. I disconnected from the internet, uninstalled avast (rebooted), uninstalled Comodo (rebooted), and installed the CA Suite from the disc.

After all was done, connected and updated, I found the Vista Security Centre was complaining more than one firewall was enabled. I double-checked the Vista firewall to find it already off :) Delving further into the situation, I found it was registering Comodo still. I ran CCleaner, deleted the Comodo folder from Program Files, and rebooted. After the reboot, I ran CCleaner again, but it's still saying the same thing! See picture below.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm positive the program doesn't exist on my computer anymore, I'm guessing there's a setting hiding away somewhere (perhaps in the registry) telling the Vista Security Centre that Comodo Firewall is installed and on.

A Google search finds plenty of information on the removal of Comodo Pro Firewall 2.x, but nothing on version 3. :)

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Troy

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
have you looked at comodo v3 removal from comodo forums ?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Thanks for that link, starjax. My search did not find this link.

I will work through it and let you know what happens.

Cheers

Troy

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
No problem Troy. I've had to find stuff on comodo forums before. they have a wealth of info. Sometimes you have to dig for it though.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi starjax,

Talk about digging for information! I (eventually :)) got around to checking that link out thoroughly, only to find there was nothing to delete. All files and folders did not exist, and there were no extra registry entries to be deleted. I eventually got to step 14, where I had to delete the Repository folder. This is what was causing the problem, and now the Vista Security Centre is happy.

Of course, there is no way Windows would let me delete that folder at all - not even in safe mode. :) I had to reboot into my Ubuntu distro (dual-boot), mount my C: and delete it from within Ubuntu!

Thanks for the help - problem solved!

Cheers

Troy