Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

UPGRADING XP HOME TO XP PRO

• Please log in to reply

leot

leot

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Question by upgrading from xp home to xp pro will it overwrite the old fonts folder from xp home. We had a font called MICR E-13B before upgrading to XP Pro would that affect our fonts folder and make us lose any fonts that are not standard with MS operating systems

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how do you plan on doing the upgrade? with an XP upgrade disk? or format reinstall?

leot

leot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ive already installed the xp pro upgrade my question is does installing an upgrade create a new fonts folder with fonts or does it keep all old fonts form previous version

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...my first question still stands

and i'll add this

....if you've already done the upgrade.....have you not either gone into the fonts folder to look for the font in question....or opened up a word processing program to see if the font is still there?

leot

leot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The font is not there anymore, The reason I ask is because someone else upgraded this system and are wondering by installing the new upgrade was it suppose to save all existing files and just upgrade OS or is the fonts directory part of the upgrade and overwrites that folder. We just want to be sure of this or wonder if it was wiped out by someone accidently after the upgrade. Thanks for your help

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the fonts folder is considered a system folder so yeah the upgrade probably replaced it

leot

leot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks again for replying, I see your not exactly sure yourself as this still remains a mystery as far as if the upgrade caused this issue. I guess the only way to find out for sure is to try this on a old unit just for testing to see if this is a fact about upgrading. I dont know when I will have a chnce to try this but if you happen to find this out to be a fact please notify me if possible. Again thanks highly appreciated

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...i can't say anything for a fact unless i've done it...and i've not upgraded home to pro before...but the fonts folder is a system folder so it would stand to reason that during a process that replaces system folders (i.e. an upgrade or a repair install) that the fonts folder would get recreated...

leot

leot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I understand, Its just that we are trying to get to the answer of how it happened becuase we had a outside computer company do the upgrade and we wanted to know this in order not to use them if they are not proffesional enough to realize this. This font was a MICR font which does the check number and routing number for our payroll system and we cannot write checks right now until we reinstall our accounting software again.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i would be willing to state that it was 99% probably not negligence on their part

to avoid having to install your software all over again (if you've already got it installed) if you've got the install media...explore the disk and see if there's a Fonts folder or something like that...you may be able to just copy the font file over to the windows fonts folder and get the font installed without installing the whole shebang

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Why not just save the font/fonts you want to keep, do the upgrade then restore the fonts?

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Just to put my 1 cent in,
When you upgrade to XP pro, the fonts folder is overwritten.

leot

leot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks to all who replied. This whole thing I realize could have been avoided with a image backup. The biggest problem with this whole issue was that they upgraded from OS that the software font was only compatible with so in order to restore our accounting system we now have to purchase a 2700.00 upgrade for that software to run in xp professional becuase it was so old. Again for the best in a way it got those cheap guys in accounting to finally fork out for a newer version of our payroll system. Again thanks to all for your input. Seems like one of us feels that it does overwrite the fonts folder durring an upgrade