Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Freezing Up

• Please log in to reply

ckelly100

ckelly100

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Folks, New user here so I hope I do this right. My mother-in law has a Compac Presario, model 5WV270 with Windows ME. She upgraded to AOL 9.0 and her CD writer light started coming on at random causing her mouse not to work and computer to freeze up. It stays that way till the light goes off. I uninstalled all copies of AOL off her computer, ran a virus check, scan disk, defrag, etc. and reinstalled her old AOL 8.0. I disabled her CD writer in device manager but there still seems to be a problem with this. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi ckelly100
Welcome to geekstogo
Try to restore to a date before the problem started in your system tools it sounds like when aol 9.0 was install it messed up a file or driver for you cd-rom try the restore if that does not work we can do some other things to repair this the restore may be the most easy way to fix it.
<_<

ckelly100

ckelly100

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I tried to do a system restore but every date I selected came back with a restore unsuccessful message. I did a Quick Restore off her cd's that came with the computer but the problem is still there. It seems that the longer her computer stays on the worse it gets. CD writer light comes on and mouse and system freezes till light goes off. Could something be overheating and causing this problem?

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
I don't think its a over heating problem. it sound like some thing is useing a lot of system resources thats way your getting the freezes. Have you deleted all temp internet files and did a defragment on the harddrive? lets see what the system is running push ctrl,alt,delete all at the same time just one time you should get a window that pops up in there you should be able to see what is running. Just to let you know that windows ME is the worst windows that microsoft put out. you may have a spyware thats runnning down load and run spybot Click here only remove the things in red. then I would like to check your log down load and run hijackthis click here you'll find the down load in notice on that page. In my signture is a hijack this guide. copy and paste it here and we will look at it and see if you should remove anything.
<_<