Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't boot up

• Please log in to reply

MCuss

MCuss

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My computer is a dell xps it is about 4 years old anyway when i start it up it wont boot up to windows instead it gives me an error message saying
"Drive 0 not found: Serial Ata, Sata-0"
"Drive 1 not found: Serial ATA, Sata 0:"
I can still boot the computer up after it says that and gives another error message about boot device not found and gives option f1 to retry f2 to enter setup and i tried desabling those drives disabling both of them but nothing worked
Please Help

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It sounds like you have lost your IDE/ATA drivers.You can try reinstalling the chipset drivers if you can find them. I would look at the Dell website for any chipset drivers. If you can post a model and serial number of your computer perhaps we could find the drivers for you.

If you have a hidden partition on your computer a old trick is to restore it back to the factory settings. You will lose everything you have put on the computer this way, so CAVEAT EMPTOR (Be careful).

Using PC Restore in Windows XP or Media Center

1 Turn on the computer.

2 When the Dell splash screen appears during the computer startup process, press and hold <Ctrl> and then press <F11>. Then, release both keys at the same time.

3 In the Dell PC Restore by Symantec window, click Restore. Alternatively, press <Tab> to highlight Restore, and then press <Enter>.

4 When a warning message appears stating that all data will be lost, click Confirm, or press <Tab> to highlight Confirm and then press <Enter>.

The Progress window will appear. Once the restore process starts, Dell PC Restore by Symantec usually takes about 8 to 10 minutes to finish.

When the restore process is complete, the following message will appear:
The system recovery process was successful.

5 Click Finish or press <Tab> to highlight Finish and then press <Enter> to restart the computer.
The software is now installed as it was when the computer was first received.

SRX660

MCuss

MCuss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have no idea how to find the serial numbers also when i boot up under the disks cant be found it says
Inter® Application Accelarotor Raid Option ROM v.4.0.0.6211

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Because your dell is 4 years old you will probably have to add SATA raid drivers from a floppy drive for the computer to see sata hard drives. You have not said what the model is other than its a XPS computer. More information would help. You will probably need to go to the dell website to download the correct SATA drivers for your computer.

http://support.dell..../...;l=en&s=dhs

I would also write down any information you can on your computer and then call Dell to see if you can get your serial numbers from them.

http://support.dell....o...;l=en&s=dhs

If they won't help you you may have to buy a XP cd and then install any drivers you can find for the hardware from the dell website.

SRX660

MCuss

MCuss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
So there is no utility that can tell me what my serial number my computer is or do you want like the dell codes that they use for support because I can find those

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Your activation code( the 5 sets of 5 numbers and letters)I held in the registry on the hard drive. If you cannot get into the hard drive because of a MBR/Partition problem then your only choice is a sticker that comes with the computer, or trying to get Dell to give you one that will work.

I have about 10 XP cd's laying around here that i cannot use other than for repair installs simply because a was not given the activation code with the cd's. So, i say that if you cannot get the code off the sticker and dell won't give you any code then you will have to purchase a new OEM CD and install XP with a new code that comes with the CD.

A alternative could be to find someone with a SATA enabled computer and see if they can get into your hard drive by installing it as a slave drive in their computer. Then they can use the below program to find your code.

Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder v1.51

The greatest thing about the Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder v1.51 key finder program, besides that fact that it's 100% FREE, is that it's very, very easy to use. You simply download the program and run it - no installation required.

In less than a second, Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder will display the Windows version you're running followed by the product key (also referred to as the CD key) that was used to install your operating system. If you own a Microsoft Office product, Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder will also provide the product key for that software too, along with the version you're running.

http://www.magicalje...keyfinder.shtml

SRX660

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Somewhere on the computer is a Dell service tag. Usually the side, top, or back. With this service tag you can go to the dell site and get all the info you need on your computer, including the proper drivers. It is also found under start/ programs/ dell accessories (but you can't get there)

MCuss

MCuss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Do i need my dell service key because i have that and i have a xp key for it too and the express service key
and do you have like a messenger so we can talk about this way faster???

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Need to keep it on the forum so that others can help/ learn. The dell service tag is a unique 5 to 7 digit alphanumeric code which is found on a white bar coded label affixed to your dell computer.

Just take this code and go to the dell support site and follow instructions. You do not need to enter anything else. Anyone can do it from anywhere, as long as they have the service tag.

MCuss

MCuss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i went downloaded the driver from dell and i think it fixed it but i have a question my service tag is 7zjgd61
and there are two sata driver downloads do i need to get them both?