Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Write Files in Blank CD

• Please log in to reply

vampirate

vampirate

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have been trying to write/burn things into some CDs [CD-R and CD-RW] for a long time now.
My computer doesn't seem to recognize that there is a CD in the computer, I have tried writing files, but then it says that I am unable to write anything, and to please insert a CD.
My computer is a Windows XP
and...
Posted Image
^ It looks like that, the window that says that it is needs to have a CD inserted, while it clearly does.
Is it that I need to install some kind of hardware in it or software?

I also remember that there used to be a button that said something like "Format CD" but I have yet to find it [It's not there anymore...]
Help please? D:

Thank you,
Karen

[The girl looking for help] :)

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

One thought I've had is that the drive itself is faulty, or the discs themselves are.
  • Have you tried using a whole different bunch of discs? You may have a bad batch.
  • Are you able to use the drive at all - to play an audio CD, to copy data files?
You'll find the "Format CD" option should only be available on a re-writable CD. (CD-RW)

If the drive itself is fine, then read on! The last time I tried to use the XP wizard to burn files was years ago! :) I'm sure it can work fine, but I always had problems with it.

I recommend you to download and install DeepBurner Free 1.8. It is an excellent program that will do all of your burning - and it's free. :)

Once you've installed the program, open it up and it will ask you what you want to do, in a box called "Project Type". What you select here depends on what you're trying to burn.

Cheers

Troy

vampirate

vampirate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
* Have you tried using a whole different bunch of discs? You may have a bad batch.
Actually, I have tried a bunch of disks >.<; Three types, CD-R, and CD-RW
* Are you able to use the drive at all - to play an audio CD, to copy data files?
Yes, I can use the drive, in iTunes, I am allowed to burn stuff on to them, but the trying to burn things into the drive manually does not work.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well in that case... as he said you probably want to get a 3rd party burning software such as deepburner.... I also have had issues with windows built in burning capability.... very limited...

vampirate

vampirate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hmm... Well, the Deep Burner did work actually, ^^; But when I inserted it to my other computer [laptop] it didnt really reconize the things that were in the disk... they WERE there, but when I tried to transfer the things from this computer, to the disk, to the laptop, well, the laptop said >error< and all those other things, that it couldnt be possible. =[

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well does the laptop recognize any disks? How about other burned disks? Did you finalize the disk when you made it on the desktop? You could also try a different brand of disk or try burning it at a slower speed....

vampirate

vampirate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes, the laptop reconizes the disks, and burned disks too [to put music in my itunes]
Err.. what do you mean if i finalized the disk? o.O

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
It's usually an option when you burn a disk. It makes it more compatible with other players...

vampirate

vampirate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Oh, well, then, I don't think I have [let alone how to do it]. Yes, I have tried other brand of CD's and everything aswell.. :)

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Kind of sounds to me like the laser used for writing the data to the disk is dying... the last one I had died did that it got gradually harder to read the disk until it was all but impossible...

vampirate

vampirate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ooooh, that's probably it, since I have had this computer since like four or five years... if that's a lot, anyways... :)

vampirate

vampirate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Although, I dont know how I will ever figure that out if that's right or not, since I am not an expert on those things... Let alone how to take it apart @-@;