Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Add a second HD in Dell 2350 ?

• Please log in to reply

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hi People,

I have an annoying problem.
My friend has a Dell Dimension 2350
Here's the Dell Support Page: http://support.dell....ystems/dim2350/
It tells how to "replace" a Hard Drive, but doesn't seem to have any place to put a second Hard Drive.
And the IDE ribbon is "very" short with only one connector for one Hard Drive.
I don't see a pre-designed place where a second hard drive can be physically mounted.
I don't think they planned on people making any changes. :)

The owner purchased the machine legitimately with Windows XP and did have the Dell re-install and driver disks at one time but now no longer does have these necessary disks.
The machine mostly works well, but has had difficulty with complications of installing .net Framework 1.0 and 1.1
No big deal for most of the machine's functioning, but .net Framework is a necessary pre-condition for the installation of TurboTax, which the owner uses to compute and file US Taxes.

I've followed all of the MS KB instructions for repairing .net Framework and/or removing .net Framework to accomplish a fresh reinstall of .net Framework. No Joy.
I've followed all of Aaron Stebner's instructions regarding .net Framework.
http://blogs.msdn.co.../30/611355.aspx
Still no joy.
_______

I have considered installing a second HD with a parallel installation of XP Home (I can do this legitimately using the owner's own Product Key and one of my MS installation CD's)
Note: The owner wants to keep the present HD and present installation of XP Home as is, no changes. <-- arggghhh!
A parallel installation would work just fine, allowing the owner to complete their taxes with a fresh installation of .net Framework and TurboTax.

*** But there really is no place for the permanent installation of a second HD.
There is an additional power connector that could be used for a second HD.
I could easily purchase a new IDE Ribbon with two connectors.
The problem I'm facing is permanent attachment of the HD inside the case.
There is no extra bay or cage.
There is "enough room" for a second HD, but no way to attach it.
You can see (Dell Support page) that the current HD is attached vertically and against the inside of the front case wall.
There would be room to place a second HD "behind" the present one, but seemingly no way to mount it physically.

Do you know of any "add-in hardware" that could be attached to accommodate a second HD?
I've posted to the Dell Support Forums........ no help for over a week.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Doug

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Doug,

I do not know of any way to permanently attach it, except for the following...

I would remove the first hard drive and then completely remove the bracket. Then, using a little technical know-how (and some parts from the local hardware store), you could create an "extension" attachment space... I guess you would just need to weld some small metal railing onto it, and then carefully measure and drill holes to screw in the second hard drive.

Failing that, you could go the easy route and grab a new case :) (or even a second-hand one, I suppose :))

Here's a cheap example from Newegg, doesn't have to be anything fancy, but I do like the Cooler Master cases in their budget range.

There's some thoughts for you to dwell on!

Cheers

Troy

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
On those Dell machines you add another hard drive by "piggybacking" another bracket on the one that is there. You would be able to get one from Dell, but if you have any place that recycles or repairs computers around, you might want to see if you could find one there first. There should be two slots in the existing bracket for the tabs and an extra hole drilled for the mounting screw.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Doug,

Have you considered or tried any of our suggestions? I'm interested in how this pans out.

Cheers

Troy