Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

vertical cascading menu

• Please log in to reply

rambro

rambro

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
Hi all,

I am working on a vertical cascading menu, that is, menus that go from left to right. I would like the sub menus that pop out from the parent menu items to over hang on the parent menu just a little, instead of being side to side from the parent items on the cascading menu. I have employed a z-indexing scheme that will accomplish this, however (and here is the rub) the z-index tags do not work in the IE browser, where they work in my Firefox browser perfectly. In the IE browser, the parent menu items cover over the child pop out menus, where I want the opposite to happen. Is there a workaround this situation.

For example let say the parent menu item is 10 em wide from a particular starting point, I want the child menu item to take up 5% of that width, so it looks like it is on top of the parent item. How can I have the child items show on top of the parent items in an IE browser. I am using a coding scheme of css and unordered lists.

|<----parent menu ----|<-->|---child menu elements --->|
|<----parent menu --------->|
|<----parent menu --------->|

In the above illustration the first parent item has a sub menu (child menu) where I want all of the child member elements to overhang on all of the parent menu elements, depending on how big the child menu is (that is how many child elements that are contained in the child menu or sub menu).

rambro :)

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
To properly use z-index, the elements in which it is used need to have a position attribute set in CSS. See Specifying the stack level: the 'z-index' property for more information.