Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Issues

• Please log in to reply

44Phil

44Phil

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Toshiba Satellite M65-S821. about a month ago I noticed that I could not power on my notebook if the power cord is plugged in. So I unplug the cord power up then re-lug and good to go. The power cord charges the battery fine.

However, as of a couple of days ago my notebook would not power up on battery alone, nor power cord. I pressed the power button several times and it powered up. This has become harder with each passing day. I have removed the plastic strip to expose the power button and had to power up that way. Now this too is becoming a problem.

Once I turn off my notebook it doesn't want to start up again. I am using it now, and have moved all my files over to an external drive. I am not sure what to fix. My warranty is expired. I was wondering if perhaps my battery (my notebook is 2 yrs old) needs to be replaced (if so why doesn't it power up with just the power cord?), or if my power switch needs to be repaired?

Any help would be appreciated. Post soon before I have coronary

Thx Phil

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Take the battery out and see if it's happy then.
Then pop the battery back in and see if it'll start then.
Sometimes this is all it needs.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Put the power connector on the back of the computer under suspicion, that is a frequent cause of those kind of symptoms. You can test it by wiggling it a bit and seeing of the power comes one. If it needs to be repaired take it to a mom-and-pop type of computer shop where they will solder it, instead of taking it to a big store where they will only replace the motherboard.

44Phil

44Phil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

Thanks for the fast reply. I tried moving the power cable (connector) a bit and nothing happened. I tried with battery alone, then with power cord alone, and nothing happened.
I shut down last night (3/16/08) and this morning the notebook would not power up. I tried all of the above.

The next thing I did was disassemble the notebook and I took out the little power swith attachment and wrote all the numbers on it to see if I can order this piece with its cable. After I re-assembled the notebook I tried a couple of time to power the notebook up, and after the 4th try of pressing the power button it turned on. I am using it now to reply with this update.

I do not think the power cord is the problem. I had it replaced about 4 months ago because I broke the power tip off the old one. I am not sure of the battery, it seems to charge fine, and when I unplug the power cord it runs fine. I have read that the battery last for about a year. This battery is 2 years old.

I am left to think that the power switch may be bad or even the mother board (where the power switch cable connects). I am tempted to try to order the switch part and replace it to see what happens.

Any further thoughts would help.

Thanks

Edited by 44Phil, 17 March 2008 - 01:04 PM.