Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Baffling Computer Problem

• Please log in to reply

Gusterv10

Gusterv10

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
A friend's mom asked me to build her a low budget computer that would only be used for word processing. I ended finding enough spare parts in my room to get something running.. I forgot all the specs but it had 384 MB of RAM, 8 GB HD, WinXP Pro, blah blah. Bottom line is it ran perfectly as soon as it was built, I even restarted it a few times. So I finally handed it off to the new owner only to find out that when it was hooked up at it's new home, it wouldn't boot. Supposedly the computer would get to the point where it says "Microsoft Windows XP" and has the loaded bar then the screen would go completely black and basically freeze up, even after being left alone for a while. I asked the new owner to run it in Safe Mode and it DID successfully, I handed off a WinXP Boot Floopy in thoughts that maybe one of the boot files got corrupt, this wasn't the case. Out of frustration of trying to fix the problem over the phone I took the computer back and went to my girlfriends house(closest house to the new owner of the computer), I hook it up at her computer desk and it booted PERECTLY! At this point I was very confused..

CONSTANT: Tower

Changing Variables: Power Cable, Monitor, Wall outlet (No mice or keyboards were used at all three houses.)

It's so odd that Safe Mode WOULD boot and normal mode would not. But at my house and my girlfriend's house, normal mode boots like a champ. Like I listed above, the only changing variables are the power cable used, monitor and wall outlet. Monitor wouldn't make sense because why would it cut out only while XP is booting? And why would it be OK if Safe mode was used? Power Cable also doesn't make any sense because once again, why would Safe Mode boot with it but not normal?

I don't know what is going on here. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appriciate them. Thank you for your time.

-Gus

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Since this computer was built for word proccessing it was most likely connected to a printer?
The printer drivers may be causing a problem.
Some times having a USB device plugged in will cause problems at the boot, but since you are getting the XP screen I think that it is a driver issue.
(May be that the printer is plugged in, but does not have the correct driver).
(Because it will start in safe mode it is most likely a driver issue.)

Edited by hfcg, 17 March 2008 - 06:51 AM.

Gusterv10

Gusterv10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
To this day it has not had a printers hooked up to it. The OS is basically stock except for Microsoft Office 2003. Thanks for the suggestion but even if it was a driver problem, it wouldn't explain why it works at my house and my girlfriends house, but doesn't run at the new owners house.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I was looking for what could be different at the new owners house.
If they had a different printer hooked up it would be a difference from the other locations.
Where they using a flash drive?
Some times a flash drive that is plugged in will cause this issue.
What could there be at the new location that is not at the other two locations.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I have asked some more experianced people and recieved the same answer.
Check that the wiring (in the house) is not faulty, and look for any appliance that may be connected to the same circuit.
Try plugging the computer in a different room.
The idea is that the computer is not getting enough power where it was connected.

GodSpeed005

GodSpeed005

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Probably a stupid question, but have you been at the persons house and witnessed this issue yourself? I only say this becomes sometimes they might be seeing something their not relaying properly to you.

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Exactly what I was thinking... :)

Edited by AgentMES, 18 March 2008 - 01:51 PM.

Gusterv10

Gusterv10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Wow, thanks a lot for all the responses, I really appriciate it! The whole house wiring issue I have thought of and could be a very valid cause but the one thing that makes me lean towards ruling it out is that is DOES boot in to Safe mode at that house. Do you suppose that Safe Mode uses less power than normal mode? It would make sense since Safe Mode doesn't need to run the NIC card.. But to answer the other question, no I have not witnessed it myself. The person relaying me the computers response is the new owners son, who isn't a completely computer ameuter. But that could be the case as well.. I'm going to end up just going over to the house and try to observe exactly what is going on. Just throwing this out there, a Windows 95 computer was used there right before my new build was. So a computer HAS ran off that outlet.. But I know technology has changed a lot since Windows 95, heh. I'm going to give the new owner the computer back with a new power cable, if that doesn't work I guess I'll have to make a visit. Please keep the suggestions coming, they've been helpful thus far. Thank you.

Oh and by the way, the computer has NO flash drives or any other devices plugged in to it.. Just a power cable and a monitor cable has been used in all three houses.

Edited by Gusterv10, 18 March 2008 - 05:09 PM.

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Hmmm... A long shot but, have you tried plugging the computer into a different outlet at the new owners house?

Gusterv10

Gusterv10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Not yet but whenever I make it over there I'm going to try it.

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Okay. :)

digisol

digisol

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I sold an AMD XP2400+ system to a female friend, the system worked 110%, NP at my place under any test known.
She took it home and the main board died the next day, I replaced it, OK Not likely I would get another call but again the following day after full rebuild she tells me it has no display and that the CDROM failed, OK I fix it at my cost because she was a good friend but I was getting a bit annoyed, just a bit.
Bla Bla etc similar things continue to go wrong (at her house) only during the next week.
I put in another motherboard and then I said enough, I took it home and all ran it all day and night, it worked again 110% again after a new rebuild, and so it should, the system could not be faulted, OK so she gets it delivered and you guessed right she called again "the PC don't work again and I asked her to come to my shop ans show me what she was doing to see just what she could possibly be doing to them.
By this time I had enough and wanted to test the wiring in her unit on a complete and total hunch, BINGO the extension lead she was using had a complete circuit from both + and - to the third wire, the earth, problem found, and I cut the lead into pieces, from then on it worked fine.

That lesson cost me three BRAND NEW boards and several other NEW internal parts, power supply, Vid cards, CDROMS, floppys etc, etc, etc, for a lousy stinking $5 extension lead.

Evil spirits among others was on the list of possible faults, hardware just don't die like that, Yes it can, I watched it die.

[bleep] happens, call a priest for an exorcisim ? so when you think all possible faults have been looked at, the real fault could be so very small and simple.

That XP box cost me more than I want to ever remember, I now check all power boards and leads no matter what.