Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cursor starts moving on it own & clicking on things

• Please log in to reply

Sueinnc

Sueinnc

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi! I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop computer and I am running Windows XP. Every so often my cursor will become "possessed" and start moving around the screen and clicking on things. I am afraid I have some type of malware that is causing it to do this. I just ran Spybot Search and Destroy and it didn't find any problems. I have Norton 360 installed. Are you aware of any malware that does this?

Thanks!

Sue

Advertisements

david28

david28

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I myself am not sure of any malware that does it but it may be possible. If you do suspect it is malware, please post a HJT log over in the malware forum where one of our experienced malware removal experts will help you out.

Regards,
David.

Old Geezer

Old Geezer

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Sometimes this will fix the problem.

FIX WANDERING MOUSE
Many people report that occasionally their mouse pointer drifts slowly in one direction or another even though they’re not touching the mouse; most reports involve optical mice.

In the Control Panel, select Mouse and the Pointer Options tab. Uncheck “Enhance pointer precision” and the problem may go away. (It did for me.)

GodSpeed005

GodSpeed005

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Have you tryed using a different mouse? Is your mouse optical? I have a microsoft optical mouse that this occurs with but only happens when the optical laser dims when not in use.

Edited by GodSpeed005, 18 March 2008 - 01:52 PM.