Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help installing heatsink

• Please log in to reply

mdsniper7

mdsniper7

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
k I need clarifaction on some things I am a rookie to computers how do I remove the stock intel and put on the artic cooler freezer 7 pro one and how do I remove the old compound and put on the new. and can I lay my antec case on its side or not . I cannot remove the mobo so easy ways please

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You can lay cases on their side.
To remove Intel heatsinks, look at the four corners. See the little arrow printed on each of the holding pins? Gently twist the pin in the direction of the arrow, it should then pull up. Repeat for the others, then the heatsink should come away.
To remove the artic paste you can normally use some kitchen towel on the heatsink and processor (gentle pressure on the processor otherwise you'll crack it) or you can buy some thermal paste cleaner with varying results. You just need something that's silicon based - Isopropyl alcohol for example, or Metho. Apparently toothpaste does the job as well.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
A strip of thermal paste will come on the Artic Freezer 7 so there will be no need to apply new paste. The old paste does still need to be removed.

Isopropyl acohol and cotton swabs work well for me.

Edited by Titan8990, 17 March 2008 - 10:06 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
heres a pretty good visual tutorial on installing a heatsink.

http://www.planetamd....php?t9728.html

SRX660