Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD Cryptograhic Subsystem Failed STOP code 123

• Please log in to reply

jbackbier

jbackbier

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Tried to upgrade to new Mobo with new memory and CPU. Everything goes fine until I try to re-install Vista. For some reason my old HDD fails in the new situation. So I bought a new HDD to install Vista on. ( I keep 3 HDD's in my system... 1 for OS and related, 1 for programs and 1 for data, I don't even use My Documents which I moved to a removable drive)

Anyway, now the DVD is read and the screen displays the 'Windows Loading Files' and when the bar is done it'll switch to the 'regular' windows loading screen with the little green bar going around. There it'll crash saying the 'Cryptographic Subsystem has failed a mandatory test in bootstrap' not 100% verbatim but pretty close. The stop code is 123 and the parameters are all 0000-0000-0000-0000

I found out on the net that Vista is sensitive to having 3GB+ memory in the system so I reduced mine to 2 GB (have 2 x 2GB of Corsair XMS2)
Also read that the onboard sound can cause issues. Don't need the onboard sound so I disabled the 'HDAUDIO' on the bios.

I haven't disabled the FDD on the bios. As I don't have a FDD I did disable it at times to see if it had any effect. None that I could see.

Not that on occasion about 1 out of 6 or 7 times the STOP error will be on the acpi.sys. As that is irregular I don't know the stop code... thought 7E.
I tried my 32-bit Vista disc as well but that gives me even less.

Can anyone tell me if any new piece of hardware is fried or if it is something I can fix.

Advertisements