Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

old Hard Drive to New Comp?

• Please log in to reply

LuvGoddes

LuvGoddes

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, here's the deal, my old Sony VAIO desktop refuses to boot up nor will it allow for a system recovery. I am running Windows XP on this particular comp. I have pictures and documents that I really want to retrieve and save on my new eMachine, also running Windows XP. Is this a possibility? and if so, how can I do this? please please help me get my pictures... I know i was told that i can install the old hard drive into the new comp, but i have no clue as to how to do this... can someone please help me? send me some step by step instructions on what to do and what i'll need as far as any additional cables, etc... I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give me... Thank you! :)

Advertisements

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
It is fairly easy to install a second hard drive.

First thing you have to do open up the old computer (unplugged from power source) and remove the cables then unscrew the hard drive.

Second, open up the new computer (also disconnected from a power source and hopefully this won't void your warranty), and look at the cables going to the good hard drive. One of the cables is coming from your power supply, hopefully there is another cable just like it that is not being used. The second cable connecting to your hard drive from your motherboard is either a very wide cable (an IDE) or a small one (SATA). Hopefully it is an IDE and already has a second mount attached to it, otherwise you are going to have to get a new cable that has two hard drive mounts. If it is a SATA, let me know and I'll walk you through those steps, but it is fairly the same.

Once you have that figured out, look at your old hard drive and see if it shows a pin setting for it to be a slave. If so then put a jumper pin in that position. If there isn't anything on your hard drive itself showing you a slave pin setting you're going to have to find the manual for it, either one came with your hard drive or look it up online.

After you have the slave pin set, screw the old hard drive into the new computer and connect the IDE cable and power cable to it.

Now you should have one cable coming from your motherboard to both hard drives and 2 power cables each going to a hard drive. Close the computer back up and reconnect it to your monitor, keyboard, power source, etc...

Turn on that computer and once your into Windows is booted up click on your start icon and then click on your "my computer" icon. Hopefully you'll see the second hard drive in there. Click on it to open it up and transfer any important files over to your C: drive.

Good luck and let us know if you have any questions.

p.s. I did a quick google search and found this website. You can also refer to this for a short video and steps. Installing a second hard drive

Hasol

Hasol

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, so your old computer probably has wide IDE connectors, and your new has thin red SATA connectors to the harddrives.
Here is a picture I made of a motherboard were you see four SATA connectors and one IDE connector on the right side.

So you basically just insert the harddrive in your computer, connect a power cord and connect the IDE/SATA cable to the motherboard.
Really not that hard! :)

Edited by Hasol, 17 March 2008 - 06:55 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
One problem you may have is getting to any files you have stored in folders under a user name. You will have to take ownership of these folders and files to be able to move them to a new drive.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

For this same reason i make new folders on the "C" drive for documents, pictures, music and any other files i do not want to go thru the ownership PITA routine if i switch the hard drive to another computer as a slave drive.

SRX660

LuvGoddes

LuvGoddes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Just want to thank eceryone that has replied so far and offered assistance... I will be working on this this coming weekend and hopefully i will succeed... i'll keep you posetd... :)