Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows starts veeery slow

• Please log in to reply

L2SILukas

L2SILukas

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hi everyone!

My sister just told me, that her computer doesn't start normally anymore.
She said that this started a few days ago.
It takes about 15 minutes to get to the desktop.
She has an Intel Pentium 4 processor and 512MB RAM and runs Windows XP.

What can I do to make her computer work properly?

PS: I don't talk english that good, so sorry for any mistakes. :-)

Edited by L2SILukas, 17 March 2008 - 10:55 AM.

Advertisements

david28

david28

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Is it the boot-up that is slow or the actual loading of programs once she logs on?

Regards,
David.

L2SILukas

L2SILukas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Its the boot-up. It takes more than 10 minutes to boot and load the desktop icons and the taskbar.

GodSpeed005

GodSpeed005

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Where does the boot hang the longest: The Windows loading screen? Or loading desktop & icons?

Gusterv10

Gusterv10

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hmm.. she could have a lot of programs or adware loading whenever the computer boots up. Try this:

Goto Start >> Run >> Type in "msconfig" (no quotes), hit Enter >> Click on the "Startup" tab

I personally weould click "Disable All" just because I know what should be running on my computer and what shouldn't. But if you don't know what it is, chances are you don't need it. Don't worry, removing any of those objects won't keep your computer from working. Just read through them because some of them would be your McAfee or Norton or whatever you may use. After you're done, "Apply" then "OK" and restart your computer.

Something else that also helps your computer run a bit faster is a program called CCleaner. Just google it, works wonders. It get's rid of all your cache, cookies, temps, etc. If you don't already, I recommend running Ad-Aware and SpyBot. Those are definite musts.

Let me know how it turns out.

Edited by Gusterv10, 18 March 2008 - 05:15 PM.

L2SILukas

L2SILukas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hmm, she just told me that it starts normally now...
And she said she didn`t do anything.
But I'll try that the next time she gets any problems with boot-up.

So thanks for now. :)

Edited by L2SILukas, 19 March 2008 - 06:41 AM.

GodSpeed005

GodSpeed005

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
The slow startup could have been caused by a number of things. But since it's now starting up normally, I'd just check in with her from time to time to make sure everything is running smoothly.

Post again if problem returns.

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
I would suggest running, Spybot Search and Destroy, Adaware-Personal Edition(Free version) and ATF Cleaner. They will help clean up your system, and should be run from time to time. :) (Even if you aren't having trouble with boot time.)