Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get windows xp to load

• Please log in to reply

cnlholman

cnlholman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a dell inspiron 2500 laptop, the other day it gave me this page and I can't get it to load. I haven't added or done anything to the computer.
I keep getting sent to a safe mode page but none of the options will load windows, it just sends me back to the safe mode page. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Do you have XP installation disk, or can you borrow one? If yes, follow theses instructions:

Try to repair the problem by using Recovery Console. To get to Recovery Console insert the disk into the cd drive and reboot the computer. Setup Windows screen will show up. If it doesn't, enter BIOS and set the cd drive to be first priority boot device.

Let Setup run until three setup options are shown. Choose Recovery Console by pressing R. When asked for XP installation type 1 (assuming you have only one operating system installed). When asked for password type your password or press Enter if you don't have a passwoed. A black DOS-like screen will show up.

At the prompt type chkdsk /r and press Enter. Let the process run to the end and reboot.

cnlholman

cnlholman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
For anyone else who gets stuck like this. I found a way easier way to bypass the password.
restart your computer between the bios startup and the windows xp page hit F8 and start the computer in safe mode.
Login as the administrator and reset your password.
Took me all of about 1 minuite, and I thought my computer was "safe" Ha! What a joke! :)

thanks for the tip though skeptic

Edited by cnlholman, 25 March 2008 - 10:51 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
That's great. If only we knew that your problem was password. I re-read your original post and password is not mentioned there. Nice that you share your solution with us.