Jump to content

Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

voltage converters and surge protectors

  • Please log in to reply




  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
I am currently in Japan and will be receiving a new laptop from America within a few weeks. I currently have a surge protector from America and a Japanese to America voltage converter. Due to the shape of the plugs, I must plug the voltage converter into the wall first, and then attach the surge protector to it. Is this setup safe for my computer, or should I go buy a Japanese surge protector? This would allow me to plug the surge protector into the wall and then attach the voltage converter to it.

In case anyone is wondering, the voltage converter really isn't much more than an American 2 prong to 2 prong + ground rod converter (I am sorry for this description; I do not know the real names for these types of plugs/outlets). The wall outlets here are the same as American outlets, but they do not have a third hole for a grounding prong. Also, the voltage in Japan seems to only differ from American voltage by 10v or so.

thank you
  • 0




    Je suis Napoléon!

  • Administrator
  • 26,038 posts
  • MVP
either configuration is fine, converter to surge protector or surge protector to converter....you accomplish the same task either way
  • 0

Similar Topics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP