Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

voltage converters and surge protectors

• Please log in to reply

jtg22

jtg22

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
I am currently in Japan and will be receiving a new laptop from America within a few weeks. I currently have a surge protector from America and a Japanese to America voltage converter. Due to the shape of the plugs, I must plug the voltage converter into the wall first, and then attach the surge protector to it. Is this setup safe for my computer, or should I go buy a Japanese surge protector? This would allow me to plug the surge protector into the wall and then attach the voltage converter to it.

In case anyone is wondering, the voltage converter really isn't much more than an American 2 prong to 2 prong + ground rod converter (I am sorry for this description; I do not know the real names for these types of plugs/outlets). The wall outlets here are the same as American outlets, but they do not have a third hole for a grounding prong. Also, the voltage in Japan seems to only differ from American voltage by 10v or so.

thank you

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
either configuration is fine, converter to surge protector or surge protector to converter....you accomplish the same task either way