Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Mobo and CPU - PC Doesn't Turn On

• Please log in to reply

xrh600

xrh600

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Yesterday I received by mail, my ASRock 4COREDUAL-SATA2 motherboard and my Dual Core E2160 processor. I decided that it was time to pack away the old P4 and dusty mobo I had for years. Removed the old mobo and such fine. Installed the new mobo without a hitch. (This is my first time doing this, but I'm fairly confident that I didn't screw anything up.) I installed the processor, by putting it the chip and pulling the lever to snug it in place. Popped the heatsink on (which had preapplied thermal paste) and then tightened down the pins, which took some time (and I'm still not sure if I did it right).

Anyways, I put in the psu, and hooked everything up to my understanding. 20-pin cord, 4-pin cord. The power switch, reset switch, hdd and power lights. Hooked the cd-rom, hdd, ram, pci expansions, agp video card, everything in properly. I go to turn on the pc, switch from both I / O on the back of the psu (at 120V), and I get nothing. Not a light, no spinning of the fan.

-I've double checked that this socket in the wall works, but have tried multiple.
-I've installed my old motherboard again just to make sure that the power connectors and the power supply were still good. They are.
-I've rearranged the positioning and such of the power connectors and lights.

The only thing that I can think of is that it was dead on arrival (which I'm doubting) No broken capacitors. The board was neatly wrapped in an anti-static bag. The bag hardly had a crease in it. Neither did the processor box. Everything just seems in mint condition, though I'm possibly wrong.

The only thing that I think that it could be is that I installed the processor wrong, or that I messed up something very stupid since this is my first time installing/replacing a motherboard and processor.

I should also mention that I hooked the board up on the anti-static bag, to make sure it wasn't the case shorting anything out, and it still failed to turn on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to determine if I'm doing something really stupid, or if either the motherboard or processor is damaged so I can send either one back.

Thanks a ton,
Mark

Edited by xrh600, 18 March 2008 - 09:05 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Out of over 50 builds i have had 4 dead motherboards. This is more common than you think. I would RMA the motherboard. I even had a MB that the only thing wrong was the Mb battery was dead. Still didnt matter as it was still dead. The Manufacturer sent it back to me with a new battery and it booted up so i used it.

SRX660

adorableedgar

adorableedgar

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
so the only new thing u got is a mobo and cpu right? is your computer really old? it could be that your old PSU can no longer keep up with a more demanding board as well as a dual core cpu. check your wattage on ur psu and there is a psu size calculator somewhere in the asus.com website under support. it could just be that ur need a larger psu...but check you if you do before just going out to buy one.