Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

batch file for automated login

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

bshaw

bshaw

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello all! I apologize for the newbness now.
I'm trying to figure out how to write a batch file or some sort of script that will allow me to automatically login to multiple programs at work (6-10 programs). I have googled and googled some more and I am unable to find anything that will even remotely help me.
As of right now I have these selected programs put in my startup folder, but now I would just like to have one file that would allow me to logon to everything with the help of one file.
Since this is for my work place I am unable to download any programs or freeware, so that is not an option. Anyone have any suggestions, or possible links that I could check out. Thanks ahead of time.

Advertisements

Listerofsmeg

Listerofsmeg

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
This Site has information about how to start programs in a batch file. Regrading running the script when the computer starts, i would just start the script via a icon when the computer has started.

May i ask why u need to start 6 to 10 programs after boot?

Edited by Listerofsmeg, 24 March 2008 - 04:23 PM.

bshaw

bshaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

May i ask why u need to start 6 to 10 programs after boot?

Thank you much for the reply, much apperciated.
Reason for the multiple programs, in a nutshell, are all used for monitoring tools where I work. It just becomes a pain to login to every single program day in and day out, and multipe times a day :) .

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi bshaw. Want to clarify something. You don't login to programs, you start or launch them. You login to your computer or to a Domain.

If what you are trying to do is start a group of programs then a simple batch file will do it for you.

@Rem batch file to start some programs

start "c:\program files\folder1\program1.exe"
start "c:\program files\folder2\program2.exe"
start "c:\program files\folder3\program3.exe"

bshaw

bshaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Hi bshaw. Want to clarify something. You don't login to programs, you start or launch them. You login to your computer or to a Domain.

If what you are trying to do is start a group of programs then a simple batch file will do it for you.

@Rem batch file to start some programs

start "c:\program files\folder1\program1.exe"
start "c:\program files\folder2\program2.exe"
start "c:\program files\folder3\program3.exe"

I actually have the .exe's in my startup folder.....
Yes I login to a Domain, but after that I have to login to programs/applications.
I'm trying to find an automated way that (make a batch file or similar) will allow me to login to those programs/applications. I know there are macro programs out there, but since this is for a work PC and I have no admin rights I'm not able to download and install anything :) .

aikeru

aikeru

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I think there is still some confusion about "logging in". :)
I would like to know...

A. If you mean you just want to run the programs

Ztrucker's method will work fine. Paste that into a .BAT (or .CMD file, whatever your flavor) and you're good to go.
Some programs may require arguments, etc, so you might open the properties of each program's shortcut that you have in your startup menu.
For instance, instead of
"myprogram.exe"
you might need
"myprogram.exe /open"

B. If you mean you want the programs to run, then log into those programs (not just "run" them, but like signing into messenger or authenticating to a terminal session)

You will need a more complicated system that will be different for each program.
If this is something you're committed to pursuing I recommend not using batch scripts and learning VBScript. If you're a system administrator of any sort this will be valuable knowledge to have. Even so, unless the program supports some method of "remote control" it will be clunky at best since you can't use commercial software.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I believe that passwords are there for a reason.
Depending on the programs (if they allow it in the command prompt or not) you can't make a batch for this.

PC and I have no admin rights I'm not able to download and install anything

This makes me believe there is an IT department at your work.
Ask them for a solution, they should know :)

Regards,
Olrik

Edited by Artellos, 14 May 2008 - 07:57 AM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
We will not help bypass any restrictions set by your IT department. If you really have a need for this, I suggest you talk to them. Since this topic is also 6 weeks old, I'm closing it.