Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP Vista Network Ethernet with shared dial up

• Please log in to reply

Sunnyfield

Sunnyfield

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I would like to set up a home network between my old XP computer and my new Vista. I bought a router and several ethernet cables. So far I have hooked up both computers to the router, the printer to the router, and since I do not have a separate modem (or high speed dsl hookup) I hooked the main computer modem to my regular internet cable. What I want to be able to do is share files, printer and the internet connection between the two. I have tried many of the how to but still no luck. I have limited or no connectivity. I can dial up to the internet on the Vista (host) and it seems to recognize the network is going somewhere, but not able to recognize the XP. I tried downloading the Link Layer Topology Discover patch on the XP. Both computers are set to allow the computer to decide the address for IP config. Both computers are set as having same workgroup name. All the boxes are checked off to allow other users on network to change files and share. Repair network on XP comes back with an error message. Please can you give me some how to info
I am at a complete loss and have never done this before. Is it even possible to share a dial up network
If not, how can I at least share files
Sorry, my question mark is not working either - it only gives me a É if I use it...(any ideas there too é) thanks!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you need to make sure that your router is configured to distribute DHCP addresses. if you don't know how to do this, check the router's manual. also let us know what the router's make and model is so we can help you out a little better

to make sure you've read
This tutorial by SpaceCowboy706 and This tutorial about Internet connection sharing right?

johnny3334

johnny3334

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Also try to disable any kinds of software security suites and firewalls.
There are some free alternatives out there like: avg free antivirus, and the very good comodo firewall.

http://networkgearspot.com