Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Memory Leak

• Please log in to reply

Po' Smedley

Po' Smedley

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I recently upgraded from 512MB to 2.00GB of memory. Using 2 - 1GB sticks. I was getting 'low-virtual memory' pop-ups. After the upgrade, I still am. A friend had me reset my paging files. No paging on Drive C:, where I have XP and all my programs...and 3069 min, and 3069 max on drive F:, which is just storage, no programs. I still get the pop-up. He is telling me I may have a memory leak, that I should not be getting the pop-ups. I have HiJack This, should I need to run it and post a log.

Here are 2 (I had to do 2 because all the tasks running) screenshots of my Task manager and what is running and the memory usage.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Any help would be welcome and apreciated.
Thank you for your time.

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
First, what is the size of the page file?

Second, open Task Manager, click on the "View" tab, click on "Select Columns" and in the window that opens select "Virtual Memory Size", click OK.

You will be able to see how much Virtual Memory each process is using. Some use more Virtual Memory than Ram. Right now I am using Opera browser. Ram shows 47,560k but VM shows 57,280k.