Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Updating my graphics driver ruined my resolution...

• Please log in to reply

gamerunknown

gamerunknown

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I just installed XP from Ubuntu, because I thought it would be easier to upgrade to Gutsy from Feisty this way, since the CD contained Start.exe.

I decided to try and partition XP once I got it, so I thought I might as well download some programs for it. While I was installing my Wireless USB, I noticed that everything was really laggy and guessed that I needed to install my graphics card drivers. I went to nvidia and got the latest drivers. After I installed them though, everything went horribly wrong. I'm on 640 x 480 pixels with 4 bit colour, meaning everything looks like this:

http://img528.images...reading2nk1.png

I checked and my monitor is being described as a plug and play monitor, which I'm fairly sure it's not. I'm guessing that it needs drivers too, which were preinstalled when I had Vista...

I wrote over Vista with Feisty because it crashed, then my wireless USB was incompatible with Feisty.

My monitor is made by pgeco, but they don't have any drivers on their website. Does anyone know what I could do?

Advertisements

gamerunknown

gamerunknown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Oh, my monitor is a PGE 1740B.

I haven't found the drivers for it anywhere online.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
  • Boot to Safe Mode, login as Administrator (no password).
  • Open Device Manager
  • Expand Video Adapters and double click on your video card
  • Click on the Driver tab then click on the Roll Back Driver button.
What is the make and model of your computer? If it's a big box manufacturer like Dell or HP, that is where you need to get the video driver from.

gamerunknown

gamerunknown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
It's a Packard Bell UTOW SFR. I'm in Gutsy Gibbon at the moment, which seems to work better than XP. They recognised my graphics card, but there's a fair bit of latency, especially when running Java apps. Could be because I'm using Blackdown Java instead of SUN though, which I suppose I should change.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Nothing on the Packard Bell website about UTOW SFR or UTOW-SFR.

Is this s leagal copy of XP or a download?

gamerunknown

gamerunknown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Err, it's a disc I got from a friend so I'd say probably illegal.

I've since gone into Gutsy Gibbon though, but I'm experiencing the same problem to an extent... I'm guessing the only reason it's not horrible is that I'm not going to be playing any games on Gutsy.

My friend recommended I try with my parents monitor though, which I'm about to do...

gamerunknown

gamerunknown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Everything runs smoother on my parents monitor, so I switched. (Partition)

For some reason though, my wireless signal keeps cutting out...

Edited by gamerunknown, 29 March 2008 - 07:10 AM.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hi gamerunknown,

You have quite an adventure going for yourself here, and some of it might not work because of technically legal reasons.

In order to run XP safely (meaning protected from vulnerabilities existing in earlier iterations of XP before updates and patches) you will have to go to the MS Site to download all the critical updates. This will require that you submit to Microsoft Genuine Advantage procedures. If the product identification number of this XP installation is not a legitimately licensed copy, or if it is already installed on another machine, then using it on your machine is not legal.

If this is the case, we will not be able to provide any further assistance to you regarding your use of an illegal copy of Microsoft XP.

I'm glad that using your parents Monitor has at least slightly improved your situation.

If you use "any" Microsoft Windows operating system, you absolutely must updated with the critical updates, or you will be leaving yourself open to vulnerabilities and malware intrusion.

It is "OK" to use a "friends" installation media for installing Microsoft Windows, with the following conditions.
  • The version must be the same as that of your machine (home or pro)
  • You must have a legitimate Product Identification Number that is licensed specifically to you for use on this machine
  • You cannot run the copy of XP on more than one machine without a multiple use license.

Best of luck to you in your adventure.

gamerunknown

gamerunknown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Well, he got a corporate edition of XP, which I installed here (SP2). I doubt he had a multiple use license.

The only issue remaining is that XP wont recognise my sound card, even when I downloaded some Realtek codecs. I guess it's a small price to pay for being a criminal.

*ventures off into the dusk, pursued by Microsoft agents*

gamerunknown

gamerunknown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Just decided to post the fix, in case anyone is in the same situation as me...

(*hopes that it's only people with problems who search for this thread and not MS guys*)

I just went to my Device Manager and noticed an unknown device. I selected update drivers, choose from a list, sound and audio thingy... It installed by itself and I'm now listening to some high quality Rick Astley. :)