Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP shut down

• Please log in to reply

tedc54

tedc54

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
When I choose either shut down or restart, the pc reaches the point where it says "windows is shutting down" it just stops there. I must turn the power on and off to be able to boot windows again.

I am current with virus checking and spyware. Any help, advice, or suggestions would be appreciate. Thank you.

Edited by tedc54, 24 April 2005 - 09:45 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run then type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace system files, you need the XP CD and you get a blue progress bar, if no change, click start then run then type chkdsk /f /r then press enter then type Y to confirm for next boot then reboot, this takes longer so run it when you do no need it for a while. If you press and hold the power button in it should shut down, which is possibly better than turning the power off.