Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading My Pc

• Please log in to reply

deicidal_jimbo

deicidal_jimbo

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi these are the specs of my computer, and i was wondering how i should upgrade my computer. I bought this computer last september if that helps. I use it mostly for gaming and the 7950 doesn't really cut it with the my favorite games like call of duty 4 and universe at war with highest specs. I am willing to spend around 400-500 dollars to upgrade my computer. I'm mostly looking for a video card suggestion and maybe some other things.Thanks, i really appreciate it. :)

Posted Image
Posted Image

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
What are the specs on your power supply?

deicidal_jimbo

deicidal_jimbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

What are the specs on your power supply?

500w Power Supply
Posted Image

Edited by deicidal_jimbo, 20 March 2008 - 09:13 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
This is what I would do with the $500:

Video Card: EVGA 8800GTS 512MB - $260

Power Supply: OCZ 600W PSU - $90

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 6000+ - $160

Total: $510

You could squeeze by with your current power supply but I am afraid that it might cause some issues as it ages. Also before you go upgrading your CPU you would need to verify that your motherboard is socket AM2 and not 939.

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look for motherboard name and report what it says here.

Edited by Titan8990, 20 March 2008 - 09:44 PM.

deicidal_jimbo

deicidal_jimbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for the suggestions. It's ok if i wait for more than 1 suggestion right?

Here is my motherboard. It says unknown, i don't know why.

Posted Image

When i double-clicked on motherboard it took me to this:

Posted Image

Edited by deicidal_jimbo, 20 March 2008 - 10:09 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I check the HP website and they had info on your motherboard: http://h10025.www1.h...n...275&lang=en

It will support the CPU that I have selected.

Feel free to stick around and wait for as many opinions as people come around to give.

deicidal_jimbo

deicidal_jimbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

I check the HP website and they had info on your motherboard: http://h10025.www1.h...n...275&lang=en

It will support the CPU that I have selected.

Feel free to stick around and wait for as many opinions as people come around to give.

Thanks for the help :)

I was watching this video because i have never installed a processor before and is it really that sensitive that i have to wear special gloves?
http://www.youtube.c...?v=b6NbPMQgwPM#

Edited by deicidal_jimbo, 20 March 2008 - 10:35 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Anytime :)

frankthetank

frankthetank

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
If I were you I'd get an 8800 GTS.Also you'll need a better power supply Maximum PC used this power supply for their Dream Machine in 2007. I would also get a nice processor like this one .

All equals-$520

deicidal_jimbo

deicidal_jimbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

If I were you I'd get an 8800 GTS.Also you'll need a better power supply Maximum PC used this power supply for their Dream Machine in 2007. I would also get a nice processor like this one .

All equals-$520

Is it better to get a really good power supply like the one you suggested and a not as good video card, or a less expensive power supply that is enough to run a better video card? :)

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
The power supply I have chosen is of good quality and will have no problem running the GTS I suggested. The GTS that the above user posted is actually an obslete GPU. The card he selected uses the G82 and the one I have selected uses the newer G92. The performance difference is very considerable. Below is a slightly lower grade card than the GTS 512mb compared the the GTS 320mb. This is an extreme example and not all games will vary by this much:

778_1057_283.png

The power supply he suggest is one of the best on the market. It is only needed for high end servers or high end SLI machines. It is overkill for your system.

frankthetank

frankthetank

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I might of given you a too strong power supply. But as for your question its better to get an expensive power supply and a less expensive video card.