Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best Firewall Solution For A Small Charter School

• Please log in to reply

lem.rar

lem.rar

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
The school I am helping is a small charter school, poor but willing to pay. With a total number of ~70 students, what would be the best firewall solution for the school? The school does have a server and a computer that used to have IPCOP on it (re-investigating this product).

Advertisements

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Generally, security suites (at least good ones) come with a built in firewall. Of course, Windows has it built in as well, but I would recommend using Spybot's built in firewall- can be found in my signature below - if you were to install it on all of the computers (which I would recommend as well). Another well performing firewall is built into AVG and Windows Defender - all in signature and free. If I had to pick one I would pick Spybot. Hope that helps.

lem.rar

lem.rar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Generally, security suites (at least good ones) come with a built in firewall. Of course, Windows has it built in as well, but I would recommend using Spybot's built in firewall- can be found in my signature below - if you were to install it on all of the computers (which I would recommend as well). Another well performing firewall is built into AVG and Windows Defender - all in signature and free. If I had to pick one I would pick Spybot. Hope that helps.

We were hoping to avoid a per-computer installation due to some meddlesome teenagers killing the application process.

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
This site has a large selection of free Firewalls that you may be able to use. In relation to installing on one server, I would recommend using a web blocking software application - some of which work effectively - on the entire network. For this I would recommend looking at this selection.

lem.rar

lem.rar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

This site has a large selection of free Firewalls that you may be able to use. In relation to installing on one server, I would recommend using a web blocking software application - some of which work effectively - on the entire network. For this I would recommend looking at this selection.

Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
SmoothWall ...A secure operating system that converts a redundant PC into a firewall and VPN gateway. It is webmanaged so no keyboard, monitor, or mouse on the device is needed..(this will keep the heathens from tampering with it)...just set it up on a old computer... more info here...

SmoothWall is a best-of-breed Internet firewall/router, designed to run on commodity hardware, and to give an easy-to-use administration interface to those using it. Built using open source and Free software, it's distributed under the GNU Public License

Edited by happyrck, 23 March 2008 - 06:48 AM.

lem.rar

lem.rar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

SmoothWall ...A secure operating system that converts a redundant PC into a firewall and VPN gateway. It is webmanaged so no keyboard, monitor, or mouse on the device is needed..(this will keep the heathens from tampering with it)...just set it up on a old computer... more info here...

SmoothWall is a best-of-breed Internet firewall/router, designed to run on commodity hardware, and to give an easy-to-use administration interface to those using it. Built using open source and Free software, it's distributed under the GNU Public License

This sounds like something I am more interested in. Thanks a ton!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome.... :)
BTW ...its not necessary to quote the posts in your replys

Edited by happyrck, 23 March 2008 - 07:50 AM.