Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Guild Wars won't install

• Please log in to reply

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
I have a fairly old computer, but I've upgraded it a lot. I am able to play WoW and FFXI on it with only minor lag. I can't figure out why the Guild Wars cd isn't working, the computer starts to read it, freezes, then the disc stops spinning and my desktop icons disappear and reappear again.

My computer has:

600 MHz processor
384 MB RAM
NVidia GeForce 5500

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Your computer does not meet the required system requirements:

* Windows XP/2000/ME/98
* 800 MHz Pentium III or equivalent
* 256 MB RAM
* ATI Radeon 8500 or GeForce 3 or 4 MX with 32MB of video memory
* 500 MB hard drive space
* Internet connection
* DirectX 8.0[/quote

If you were able to get it installed it is unlikely that it will be playable.

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
Then how is it that I am able to play FFXI and WoW? The minimum system requirement for those games are just about the same or higher than what I have yet they still work!

FFXI
Windows (PC)
Pentium III 800 Mhz CPU
Windows 2000/XP
128 MB RAM
DVD-ROM drive
DirectX 8.1
Nvidia GeForce or ATI Radeon 9000 or higher
8.5 GB free hard drive space.

WoW
- Intel Pentium® III 800 MHz or AMD Athlon 800 MHz
- 512 MB or more of RAM
- 32 MB 3D graphics card with Hardware Transform and Lighting, such as NVIDIA® GeForce™ 2 class card or above
- DirectX® 9.0c (included) and latest video drivers
- 6.0 GB available HD space
- 4x CD-ROM drive
- A 56k or better Internet connection

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
IMO I think it is because your Video Card is that much better than the required ones so it puts less stress on your CPU that is not up to par. Guild Wars is the most taxing out of those three games. Also, my definition of "playable" probably differs from yours.

Either way not meeting the system requirements should not prevent installation of the game.

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
My friend said the happened to his computer with his Prophecies disks. He's going to let me try his Factions disk and see if it will work. I googled this problem too and it said something about ports being blocked by a firewall. Usually my firewall pops up asking me to permit whatever is trying to connect to my computer.

I remember this also happened to my ffxi disk before I realized that it was for DVD-ROM. GW is also DVD-ROM and it's not working.

How is GW more taxing than ffxi or wow? Is ATI Radeon 8500 or GeForce 3 or 4 MX a higher grade video card than the one I have?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
No but it is a higher requirement that the other two games.

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
So...is there any way you can help me figure out why this disk is making my computer freeze instead of installing the game?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Personally, no. I was just trying to explain it probably isn't worth the time or effort.

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
What part of the system requirements is higher than the other two exactly?

The problem here is installing the game in the first place. You said yourself, "Either way not meeting the system requirements should not prevent installation of the game." Is there anyone else here that might actually be able to help me with this matter instead of being a dismissive jerk?

Edited by Lovltn848, 22 March 2008 - 09:12 PM.

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
I got it to install AND I can play it! Go ahead and close this thread. I'll remind myself next time to use google when I have a problem with a game instead of coming to this forum.