Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting data out of dead pc

• Please log in to reply

mequestion

mequestion

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I have an old, dead emachines pc. It will not boot. Gets stuck at logo screen or even sign in screen.

It's garbage now, I bought a brand spankin new one, but I still need to get that data out of the harddrive if possible...
Is there some easy way to do that, like with some sort of adaptor that will allow me to temporarily connect straight to that harddrive only to one of my other machines?

Advertisements

howell414

howell414

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
you have to get the hard drive out of the your pc and plug it in your new computer. you have to check first what kind of drive it is. old drives are usually connected by those thin ribbon wires while new ones use SATA cables. try to check the manual on your new pc. when successful, your old drive will show in "my computer" as a drive. by then you can extract the files you want to.

mequestion

mequestion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks.
OK, but that would mean opening the cabinet of the new machine and maybe voiding the warranty I think?
I thought I had read somewhere that you can remove the old harddrive and make a USB adaptor or something like that so as not to have to even open the case of the machine the data is going into?

Anyone know of anything such as that?

howell414

howell414

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
yes, i agree with you on that. you can use an IDE to USB adaptor to connect your old drive to your new pc.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Try this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

SRX660

cvswebdesign

cvswebdesign

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
If you drive is an older IDE drive you can purchase an EXTERNAL ENCLOSURE for the drive that will allow you to continue to use it as an external hard drive on your new PC. It will connect to the new PC via USB.
You can find them at Circuit City, Best Buy, Office Depot and any other major retailer. I think I've even seen them at Wal-Mart in the past.
Anyways....it's the best way to go since you not only get your old data.....you get an external hard drive!!!

Carl

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
If you do end up just opening up your comp, make sure that if its IDE put it into SLAVE mode. Which is as easy as getting tweezers and changing the pins. There should be some help on the HD it self (a sticker).

Posted Image
top = IDE
bottem = SATA

~~~~

don't think i have to say this, but BEFORE YOU PLUG IN HD, TURN OFF COMPUTER OR YOUR HD WILL FRY AND CATCH ON FIRE (LITERALLY)

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 24 March 2008 - 03:23 AM.