Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP install can't find Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

conman5

conman5

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

Well my title pretty much says it. My hard drive wasn't booting, giving me a BOOT DISK FAILURE. After using Norton Ghost to clone the drive onto a new drive I bought from Newegg, it didn't work and gives me the same error. So I was told just to reformat the drive (using a SATA to USB addapter) and try to just do a strait install of Win XP from my HP recovery disk.

The recovery software comes up and says that it can't find the drive. The BIOS can't find the hard drive either.

I have no idea what to do. If anyone here has an idea what I should do, please help me.

Thanks,
Conman5

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go, conman5.

I don't understand where the "sata to usb adaptor" comes in to the process. Please explain. If you are trying to install from the HP recovery disk on to a SATA drive that's connected via an adaptor to a USB port externally, that will never work because the USB ports are effectively 'dead' until Windows has been installed. That's why the recovery software cannot find the hard disk. The disk must first be fitted internally, in place of the one that's failed. Then try running the recovery software again.

Edited by pip22, 21 March 2008 - 02:20 PM.

conman5

conman5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Im sorry

What I meant was that I did the cloning and reformating to get rid of information via a usb adapter hooked up to my laptop. When I have tried the recovery, it was internally connected.