Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop Background

• Please log in to reply

nyychick2

nyychick2

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I just got finished cleaning my computer of malware that was on it. And as I was finishing up the final processes, my background picture disappeared. It was one of the default pictures they give you as an option, however now none of the thumbnails of the picture now even show up when you click open select background. Rorschach112 told me to post in here, I hope you can help. Thank you for reading this.

The thumbnails are just pixelated blurs and none of the backgrounds available are staying. I just get a solid blue color.

Advertisements

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
I am not sure what you mean by when you "click open and select background" ?

Did you:

Right click on your desktop
select Personalize
select Desktop background

you should have your windows wallpapers there, or you may have to go to the location where it says, location and you can click the little drop down arrow and scroll to wallpapers.

You don't have to use their wallpaper, you can choose any picture you want and right click on it then set it as a desktop background. The size of the picture is important for a good background though.

nyychick2

nyychick2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I tried that but none of the pictures show up. And anything I click on doesn't show up in the background. It stays the solid color.

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Ok, Well let's check the policy first.

click on the Start orb

in the Search box type gpedit.msc and press enter

the group policy editor should show up.

on the left panel locate the User Configuration

click the arrow beside the Administrative Templates

click the arrow beside Desktop

then click on the Desktop folder

You should have a view like this:

Capture.JPG (click image to enlarge)

Is everything set as "not configured" ?

To change the settings just double click on an item and you can see how to do it from there.

You have to save everything and reboot your computer for effects to take place.

Let me know how that goes.

Edited by PsychPosse, 22 March 2008 - 12:32 PM.

nyychick2

nyychick2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Everything is not configured should I be changing the state to something else?

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
No, everything should be as it is.

I figured that those policy settings would be as they are, though I wished they weren't as then that would have made this simple.

Not sure where to go next yet, may have to check some things in the registry. I will look into it a little more first.

I have not had to deal with this before and I can't find a lot of information dealing with Vista. So if anyone else has some input, please jump in here.

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
On top of the image it says Click for the full size, do that, then right click on the image and try to Set it As Desktop Background.

Posted Image

Edited by PsychPosse, 22 March 2008 - 04:29 PM.