Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cpu @ 43% , CMOS freeze up and random turn on

• Please log in to reply

Nanoer

Nanoer

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey I just built a new computer and when I boot up it randomly but often freezes at a screen with the Biostar(motherboard manufacturer) logo and I can't access the BIOS or do anything except turn it off. It's not a hard drive issue because there's a screen after this that tells me what hardware is detected. I can fix the problem by resetting my motherboard(there's a jumper to do this instead of having to take out the battery which I also tried once) and everything works normally except again randomly the CPU load is at 43% CPUMon, Speedfan and Task Manager have confirmed this except funny thing is it's a clean install of XP and Task Manager says none of my processes are using any CPU. The last thing is my computer randomly turns on. If I move my hand near it it just starts up. So does anyone have any idea what's wrong with my computer or should I just say it's possesed and call it a day? Thanks in advance :)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I think this is limited to 2 things. Either your power supply is flaky or the motherboard Is slowly going south. Did you replace the MB battery? Have you checked to see if there is a MB BIOS upgrade to fix any problems? Check at the MB website for this.

SRX660

Nanoer

Nanoer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I think this is limited to 2 things. Either your power supply is flaky or the motherboard Is slowly going south. Did you replace the MB battery? Have you checked to see if there is a MB BIOS upgrade to fix any problems? Check at the MB website for this.

SRX660

The PSU was owned by friend and he ran his gaming computer with slighter larger stats on it perfectly. The motherboard is brand new so should I just return it?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I would still try another PS first. Even if you just find a friend that has one that will work and is known good. I had a intel barebones kit that was doing the same thing and i found that the hard drive had died between computers. The HD was sitting for only a month but when i replaced it with a good HD out of another computer i could then get into the bios. Up to that point with the dead hard drive in the computer i could only get a intel screen on the computer and could not access the bios or do anything else with the computer. Another computer kit was dropped of to my house by a friend that built it up with the same problem. The problem with his was flaky memory. The PNY memory had a bad module in it that would let the bios show up but would not let you install from a CD and even could not get to a DOS prompt after i installed a floppy drive and tried booting off a win98 boot floppy. That day i just happened to receive a 2 gig kit of Centon memory that was the same used by my friends computer. For a lark i installed it , slipped a XP cd in the drive while it was booting and the computer started installing XP.

When i built a second matching Intel Kit to the above i did have to RMA the motherboard for a replacement. It was just plain dead and did absolutely nothing no matter what i tried.

So, what i am saying is, i would try testing all the other hardware if possible before sending the MB back for replacement. I have RMA'ed at least 1 MB back every month so far this year, but i also build 10 or so computers every month. Find out if all the other hardware parts are good first. Remember it's your money that is spent sending things back.

SRX660

Nanoer

Nanoer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I would still try another PS first. Even if you just find a friend that has one that will work and is known good. I had a intel barebones kit that was doing the same thing and i found that the hard drive had died between computers. The HD was sitting for only a month but when i replaced it with a good HD out of another computer i could then get into the bios. Up to that point with the dead hard drive in the computer i could only get a intel screen on the computer and could not access the bios or do anything else with the computer. Another computer kit was dropped of to my house by a friend that built it up with the same problem. The problem with his was flaky memory. The PNY memory had a bad module in it that would let the bios show up but would not let you install from a CD and even could not get to a DOS prompt after i installed a floppy drive and tried booting off a win98 boot floppy. That day i just happened to receive a 2 gig kit of Centon memory that was the same used by my friends computer. For a lark i installed it , slipped a XP cd in the drive while it was booting and the computer started installing XP.

When i built a second matching Intel Kit to the above i did have to RMA the motherboard for a replacement. It was just plain dead and did absolutely nothing no matter what i tried.

So, what i am saying is, i would try testing all the other hardware if possible before sending the MB back for replacement. I have RMA'ed at least 1 MB back every month so far this year, but i also build 10 or so computers every month. Find out if all the other hardware parts are good first. Remember it's your money that is spent sending things back.

SRX660

Okay I put in a 380W and I put in a Radeon 9250 instead of my 8800GT and I took out my HD. It booted up fine no CMOS freezeup so I reconnected the HD and booted up windows and I still get CPU usagate at 40%. I don't know if it's relavent but in Speedfan there are two bars for CPU usage and the 2nd one is almost full and has the 40% usage written next to it. Could this mean the CPU is defective? I have to wait until Monday to be able to call either Newegg.com where I bought it from or Biostar.

I just put in only 1GB of my G Skill ram and the CPU usage has dropped to 2% so does that mean my RAM is bad? I tried each stick individually and it only jumps to 50% with one of them.

Edit: Now it's using 50% CPU again. Now I tried putting the ram in a different slot and when I turned on the computer there was a rapid series of beeps which my motherboard manual doesn't list and now my computer won't turn on.

Edited by Nanoer, 22 March 2008 - 03:07 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I would RMA the Ram and see what happens. It is obvious not a bad MB.

SRX660

Nanoer

Nanoer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I would RMA the Ram and see what happens. It is obvious not a bad MB.

SRX660

Their office is 2 cities away. I'm RMA'ing the CPU, RAM and Mobo. Only costs me $6 USD. Better to be safe than go through more hassle again.