Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory Transfer From Partition To Partition

• Please log in to reply

fOisT

fOisT

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi. My computer was divided into two partitions by a certain "tech." person who worked on my computer without any of my authority :) . ANYWAYS it wouldn't have been a problem except that the partition that is used most often and automatically saved to (FireFox does not allow me to change save locations) was made the smaller partition. All of our hard drive's content was automatically filed into the C: partition until it completely filled up and the remainder was put into D:. I have been able to clean up most of it but I would still like some help. I would like to know how to transfer a couple gigs of memory from one partition( D: ) to the other ( C: ). All help appreciated! Thank you in advance!

fOisT

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well first, firefox does let you determine where your downloads go. I put all my downloads in a "Downloads" folder i made on the C drive. Go to tools > Options, click it open and in the middle of the general page is a downloads section. There you can see where it says "Save Files To" . There you can change the folder downloads go to to any folder on any drive or partition.

If you go to start, then right click "My computer", then click explore, you will open up a dual pane window showing your partitions and folders in the computer. You can click on the + signs next to the folders to open then up . Open the folders up to the FILES you want to move over to the other partition. There you can click "Select all" in the Edit menu, Then click Edit > "copy to folder". you will then get a new window open where you can find the folder on the other partition to put the files. Click OK and they will be moved there. Be patient because moving many gigs of data may take some minutes.

SRX660

fOisT

fOisT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey thanks for the help, but I was kinda looking for a way to move the actual virtual usable memory. Like when you first divide the partitions you are in the startup menu of windows for setting everything up, etc. I was wondering how to get back to (I forgeteded) and use that screen to repartition and move the virtual memory from the D: drive to the C: drive. Anyway thanks for the Firefox help, I couldn't find that and I was like, "Wow, what the heck?"

fOisT

Edited by fOisT, 23 March 2008 - 01:03 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts

I was kinda looking for a way to move the actual virtual usable memory

The PAGE FILE memory i think you are talking about is nothing more than drive space that windows uses for a swap file when it runs out of usable memory. It is the unused space on the hard drive and when you do not have much HD space you start getting errors.

From another site,

Adjusting Virtual Memory Settings

The required settings can be accessed from within the System Control Panel applet which is accessible by right-clicking on the My Computer symbol and then clicking on Properties from the drop-down menu. The other approach is to click on the Start button, go to Settings/Control Panel/System. When the applet opens, choose the Properties button and click on Virtual Memory.

For Windows XP, the sequence is to right-click on My Computer, choose Properties, go to the Advanced tab button, click Performance Settings, click on Settings, click on the Advanced tab once again and in the Virtual Memory section, click Change.

The default setting for this is set on the "Let Windows Manage my virtual memory" option. Click the "Let me specify my own�" and select the drive where you will put the swap file on by clicking the drop-down list in the Hard Disk field and specify the maximum and minimum swap file size in the proper fields. Once the parameters are set, exit the system and reboot the computer.
Dual Hard Disk Drives

If you have two hard disks in your computer, choose the second hard drive for the swap file to reside on. Windows will be working from the C: drive (your primary hard drive) AND simultaneously swap program codes and data to and from the swap file on the other drive.
What Size Swap File?

Using a fixed swap file size means that the swap or page file will be static so that it will occupy side-by-side cluster chains and will run little risk of fragmentation. At the same time, Windows will not need to waste time or resources in sizing or resizing the swap file. The downside to this is that the swap file cannot go beyond the maximum size when needed - which can lead to a system crash.

Most people set the swap file size to 1.5 x the memory in the computer.

Please tell me if you have this window in Firefox. Do you see the downloads part in the middle. This is on the main page in Tools>options.

Posted Image

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 23 March 2008 - 06:31 AM.