Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Service pack 2 won't install

• Please log in to reply

imgramps

imgramps

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Haven't found a cure from reading posts. 1st timer. I am listed as administrator in Log On, but won't allow me to install service pack 2 for updated Windows. I tried to use F8 key to enter safe mode to no avail. Any ideas that could help me. Thanks for reading!

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Have you tried logging on as the main Administrator rather than just a user with admin rights??

Does your system have SP1 installed??

Are you getting an error message?? If so, what does it say EXACTLY !!

Murray

imgramps

imgramps

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Call me crazy, but when I went to download the update again from the website so I could be precise with the notice, it said I already have service pak 2 installed on my computer, but when I went to my system summary it said " XP Home Edition 5.1.2660 Service Pack 1 Build 2600"
As for being the administartor, I am the only one listed on the log on screen. Guests are turned "Off". When I created another logon with administrator rights, it just said something about "Local policy not observed"
I am going to watch the posts and try to learn a little more about what I am doing before I post again. Thanks for responding!