Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Water on LCD monitor

• Please log in to reply

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I was drinking some water while at my computer and choked a bit on it. Long story short. Some water got ejected out of my mouth and got on my screen. I tried to wipe it up as best I could, but it looks like I wasn't fast enough.
Posted Image
Posted Image
PLEASE TELL ME THERE IS A WAY TO FIX THIS

EDIT
It got worse as I was typing this post. :) :)

Posted Image

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 24 March 2008 - 03:28 PM.

Advertisements

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
this happened to my mates laptop screen, i'm sorry but i have tried everything with my mates screen!

doesn't seem to want to do anything once the transistors have been given a drink!

i would get it checked with some kind of PC repair centre, to get an expert opinion!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Laptop panels can be replaced, but at a hefty cost of around 300$ or greater and that's not including installation if you cannot accomplish this yourself.
For a desktop monitor, it's not even worth it. See if your can RMA the monitor but in the end you're likely going to have to purchase a new one.
James

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Whenever you get water on something like that, turn it off, disconnect everything from it, put it near a source of moving air, a fan at slow speed, and let it dry out for a least 24 hours. Most electronics can deal with a little pure water as long as voltage isn't being applied. A great deal of water was used in their manufacture and the circuits has actually been washed many times with ultra pure water during the manufacturing process.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
MODS: Resize pics, edit topic?

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Thanks for all your replies everybody.

@Admiral you could have directed a question at me asking for thumbnails instead of letting the forums auto resizing function do the same exact thing. But since that doesn't kick in until they are fully loaded I suppose I can see were you're coming from.
Instead you appeal straight to mods, thats pretty lame. And exactly what is wrong with the thread name? 'Water on LCD monitor" pretty much describes the problem, and "OH MY GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE" pretty much describes my state of panic at the time.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
I understand your reply, but both of the issues I brought up are in direct violation of the Terms of Use of the forum. That's why I appealed straight to the mods, because often they are more willing to change something than the person who violated the ToU. I didn't flame you in any way, nor did I point any blame to you. I simply asked, in five words, for a change to the post so everybody is kept happy.

Edited by The Admiral, 24 March 2008 - 05:24 PM.