Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP broke --- ERROR 21! please help

• Please log in to reply

bennyrichards

bennyrichards

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

i installed linux KDE 4.0 and now XP wont boot up. I get error 21 and stuff like unable to load disk

PLease help

Advertisements

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Hi bennyrichards,

Linux does not use the same bootloader as Windows does, Linux is a totally new experience. The error is because Linux has gone over your Windws XP boot up.

Put in your windows XP CD, go to the recovery console, then type /fixboot and /fixmbr

If i remember correctly these we're the commands but just double check. This fixed my problem. And please, don't be discouraged to use Linux again, it's wonderful once you get the hang of it :)

Best way of installing Linux is to create a seperate partition for it :) read the forums, there is tons and tons of info on it.

Good luck!

PARIAH

PARIAH

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Better still is a livedisk.

Puppy is a real nice user-friendly linux that can run with no hard drive- so even if all [bleep] breaks loose, you can still get on geekstogo. It includes all the basics and has .pup and .pet packages that work a lot like a windows installer. I definitely reccomend it if you're new to Linux. I set up one GUI so it was just like XP... only it worked lol

bennyrichards

bennyrichards

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
But i have lost my XP disk!! argh!!! what now?

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
You'll have to fix your GRUB bootloader. Lookup error 21 on google.

PARIAH

PARIAH

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
download puppy. burn livedisk.

Did I mention that it can reinstall GRUB loader to your MBR in a few clicks? Then rebot w/ the CD-ROM out (you can choose not to save) and it's like nne of it ever happened. And should this occur again...