Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

To get Back Up in OEM XP Home using full XP CD?

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
As I have XP Home I don't have Back Up which is either on non OEM XP Home or only on the XP Pro but I have seen that if one has 'access' to a complete XP Install CD one can 'extract' it from that.

I have a friend's XP CD (with the key but not sure if it's PRO or Home) which I can use but how to go about it? Will I have to go online to register it; what will happen to my already installed XP; can I just extract the Back Up etc., etc.?
Can anyone advise on this matter please?

Xp Home SP2

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can download and run SynchBack. It's an excellent, easy to use, free, backup and synchronization program.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Microsoft originally planned to include Windows Backup in the Home Edition as well as the Professional Edition. Unfortunately they removed it, for reasons known to themselves, from the final version. However you may install the utility from your original XP Home Edition CD or from the SP2 installation files or you can download it here.

http://www.ntbackup....p-Installer.exe

Simply insert the XP CD and run NTBACKUP.MSI (it might look like just "Ntbackup") program from the folder D:\Valueadd\msft\ntbackup where D: is the letter of your CD drive. This will launch the Windows Backup Utility Installation Wizard, which will install the utility automatically. When it is finished, click "Finish."

Now you can click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Backup, and the Backup Utility will start.

Microsoft approves this in KB Article Q302700.

SRX660

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks very much for your responses.

I have installed the Ntbackup and got it to work but it seems too complex for my needs. I do have Nerobackitup which seems simpler which also allows to back up directly to CD/DVD instead of backing to file and then to CD etc.

I'm trying to find out what the differences are between them. There are also so many free ones available - it's very confusing.