Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Require XP Home CD_Framework Issues

• Please log in to reply

Sallyn

Sallyn

• Pip
  • 5 posts
The story starts... I received an XP restore CD (win XP Home included) with my newly purchased Computer. I had a crash and could not use this disk due to hardware changes (new DVD drive) made on my system. I had a dealer install XP home on my computer, but again - no CD. I now have framework issues and requires files from this CD which I don't have. Does anyone have suggestions as to how I can repair the framework using a repair tool without having to access files on the CD? I would also like to have an XP Home CD (version 2002 Sp2 is whats on there now). I still have my original product key. I have read articles on repairing framework manually, but am not comfortable doing this. My other option - is it safe to uninstall framework versions 1 2 and 3 and reinstall with SP 1's. I'm afraid if I do, I may loose everything I have. Please help!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Dot net framework is free download from Microsoft's site anyway so you don't need a CD.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Uninstall all version of .NET, starting with the latest. Reboot after each one. Then install .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 and stop. I don't know of any applications that require .NET 3.0.

Set your Windows Update to notify you when a download is available, not to automatically install it. That way you can refuse .NET 3.0 if it's offered.

Sallyn

Sallyn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Now, I'm not sure if framework is my problem - I tried reinstalling (I know I should have uninstalled it first) but it said I already had these versions installed on the computer. I have no problem downloading the service pack 1's for versions 1 thru 3 from W Update - the problem is they won't install. I also noticed system restore no longer works. In the event viewer system folder I get error messages such as:
1) Error: Windows update agent (event 20) Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
2) Error: Service Control Manager (Event 7026) The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
cdudf_xp

In the event viewer Application folder I get error messages such as:
1) Error: MsiInstaller (Event 1023) - Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 - Update '.NET Framework PreXP' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\dd_NET_Framework20_Setup3E1E.txt.
2) Error: - Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1. The file c:\WINDOWS\system32\mscoree.dll is being held in use by the following process Name: hpqgalry , Id 2968.
3) Error: MsiInstaller (Event 11714) - Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 -- Error 1714.The older version of Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group. System Error 1635.
4) Warning: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0 (Event 1020)- Updates to the IIS metabase were aborted because IIS is either not installed or is disabled on this machine. To configure ASP.NET to run in IIS, please install or enable IIS and re-register ASP.NET using aspnet_regiis.exe /i.
5) Warning: Userenv (Event 1517) Windows saved user OFFICE\Owner registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use. This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

Should I be looking for solutions for something other than framework? If you feel this is still framework related I will try your solution - hopefully I'll install the proper files!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
All those errors are .NET Framework related. Do as I posted earlier.

Sallyn

Sallyn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried uninstalling Versions 3 and 2. These are the error messages I received:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 - A problem has been encountered while loading the set up components. Cancelling S/U

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 has encountered a problem during setup. Setup did not complete correctly.

Some time ago I had changed the permissions on this computer. While creating a password for the computer, I was also asked if I wanted to protect all my files and fiolders - I said "yes" . Then I could not access my network and as I result I had to change the permissions. I guess this is probably why I'm having this nightmare now!

Sallyn

Sallyn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Should have asked - Do you suppose the Windows Install Cleanup Utility tool would help at this point to remove the frameworks?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Yes, that is the probably your only recourse at this point other than manually removing everything then scouring the registry fro .NET junk.

Cvc

Cvc

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Windows Install cleanup utility solved my problem

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That's good news. thanks for letting us know.

Sallyn

Sallyn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks guys for all your help...but I think I'm going to give this a bit of a rest. I've contemplated using the net.framework cleanup tool besides the windows installer utility tool and am afraid if anything may go wrong I could be asked to run a windows setup disc (which I don't have). I've set Win Update to notify me of new updates instead of downloading and installing automatically. I checked the install history on windows update site and it began Jan/08. What I find a little unusual is- history shows all Serv Paks (1) were installed Jan 21. On Jan 22, they were downloaded again but couldn't install and its been going on since. Frameworks 1,2, 3, SP 1's do not show up in the Add/Remove Program list. At the moment I can download other updates. I did run the UPH clean setup tool and it did solve the problem with userenv (1517).