Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Retrieving deleted registry

• Please log in to reply

Yppolitia

Yppolitia

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I recently tried to reinstall Norton Antivirus 2004 and I coudlnt fully uninstall it so deleted the registry and now I cant re install NAV2004 anymore, its says there is still a NAV20004 on the computer but when I go to uninstall it from the Add/Remove function its on the list but the Remove icon doesnt come up!
Anyone know what I should do?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Try this:

Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility: http://download.micr...1bd/msicuu2.exe

Run Windows Installer Clean Up, select the application which pops up with the Windows Installer (in your case the nav 2004 component, and click Remove.

Here's an article you want to read before proceeding: Description of the Windows Installer Cleanup UtilityInstaller CleanUp Utility

after that you can try to reinstall nav 2004. if that still doesn't work let me know, I can point you to the manual uninstall instructions.

Starjax

stallionsims

stallionsims

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
try my post!
http://www.geekstogo...ram-t19530.html
-stallion.

Yppolitia

Yppolitia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Ok, thanks Ill try both.

Yppolitia

Yppolitia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I installed the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility but it hasnt let me reinstall NAV2004. I opened the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility and clicked remove on NAV2004 then went to reinstall it but said there was still a NAV2004 on my computer, I then went to Add/Remove programs but couldnt find it.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
have you tried Stallionsim's method for removing nav 2004?

once its removed just stick in the cd and reinstall.

Starjax

stallionsims

stallionsims

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
hi,
this is regarding the windows installer cleanup usage.the win installer clean up is theprogram which is used to erase the installer information of program with windows.For ex:if u have the program norton,the windows installer version of norton can be removed from there.It's not going to rmove the entire version of norton from the system.
the entries you need to look up in windows installer cleanup regarding norton and symantec are
* CC
* cc
* Norton
* Symantec
* Sym
* MSRedist
* SPBBC
* Internet Worm

select these entries one by one and delete them.
If you want to know more about this click on the link below
http://service1.syma...src=bar_sch_nam

one more step I forgot to add inmy previous post.
Navigate to the folder symantec shared in the location
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared and rename it as symantec shared old.if u r not able to rename it in normal mode,u can very well do that in sfae mode.

try these.Post if u r lucky.I have tried these steps and it has worked 99%.

:-) stallion.

Yppolitia

Yppolitia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Thanks for the help, ill give it a shot.

TonyKlein

TonyKlein

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 642 posts
  • MVP
This is not a Windows Installer issue.

You want to use SymNRT.exe to remove those hidden remnants of the application:

http://service1.syma...=&osv=&osv_lvl=

Good luck!