Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trojan LOP

• Please log in to reply

KRGoet

KRGoet

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Using a Lenovo laptop with XP 2007.

First started noticing problems about three weeks ago when internet got laggy, certain webpages won't even load anymore.
My virus protection software (McAfee) started popping up several times a day about a week ago, showing a list of viruses that it had found and deleted.

Four days ago I downloaded Ad-Aware from www.download.com. I ran it and it found almost 600 infections on my computer. It quarantined 11 of them and deleted the rest. I thought the problem was taken care of, buy my computer was still lagging and McAfee was still having a fit every couple of hours.

I started running AdAware almost once an hour or so and it would each time find almost 100 new infections and delete them. Yesterday I noticed that the scans would no longer complete, they would start scanning "Folders (Conditional)" and then stay there, program was still working fine. Still finding infections. This could have possibly just been an AdAware problem and not a virus problem.

I called a geek friend and he had me go back to www.download.com and download AVG Anti-Virus. Almost as soon as I was done installing it, it popped up and said that it had found a threat in my system32 folder, in one of the .dll files. It called it a LOP, I believe Trojan. I know this is a file that I should probably not just quarantine without any thought. I transferred all my files that I need for school and work (word docs mostly, and pics) onto another laptop. I have been running the AVG virus scan but it is very slow to respond to what I want it to do, and the actual scan does not seem to pick up the infection. This may be due to the fact that the program needs an Anti-Virus definition update, but the program is so slow to respond that I cannot get it to download the update...

So my question is, what do I do?

The laptop was given to me by my college, so I don't have the XP install disks. Would the best course of action be to hand it to the tech people here at school and ask them to wipe it, or is there a way that I can remove this infection and repair the file without stabbing myself in the face?

Thanks so much!

Advertisements