Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OEM XP Media Center won't boot after initial round of critical upd

• Please log in to reply

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
A computer won't boot after receiving the initial 84 critical updates from Microsoft update. The system will post then go to the safe mode selection screen and either then get the BSOD or just restart. This is a new system on a fresh install of XP after a HDD format.

Before it gets the updates it boots fine and works fine, except that IE6 sometimes locks up and won't work.

I think it may be a driver issue but am looking for some other ideas. Can anybody think of anything?

System Specs:
OS is Windows XP Media Center SP2 2005
Motherboard - PC Chips A33G
Memory 2gb PQI DDR2
CPU - AMD Athlong 64 X2 4600+
HDD - Western Digital 160gb Sata
PSU - Ultra Modular 500 Watt
Video - Sapphire Radeon HD 2600 XT
Super Talent INT ALL IN One memory card reader

Advertisements

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Ok nevermind I hve isolated the problem to the HD 2600XT graphics card. When I uninstall the card and just use the onboard graphics it boots just fine. Now the only problem I have is uninstalling the ATI drivers as it keeps coming up with errors whenever I try.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You could also look for a letter version driver, see if that fixes the problem?

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
What's a letter version driver? Do you mean later version?

I installed the driver directly from the ATI website so it was the latest driver. The problem I am having now is that I need the card in to remove the driver but if I put the card back in XP won't boot. Won't boot in safe mode either.

I am thinking I will need to do this the hard way and just do a reinstall of the whole thing, only this time leave the ATI drivers till last when I can install the entire Catalyst software suite on top of Net Framework.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Use F8 again, when you get to the Boot Menu Selection screen, choose VGA mode. That will boot you up to the default XP driver at either 640x480 or 800x600.