Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is this? A virus or a real error? [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

paulinspain

paulinspain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hmm, I performed all instructed actions & so far the nasty has NOT reared its ugly head again. What you sent me made for interesting reading. :)

I installed the MVPS Hosts file & will be interested to see how it performs. The guys over at dslreports.com are about to give it a try as well apparently according to a recent forum there.

I already run SPYWAREBLASTER on real-time & also run SUPERANTISPYWAREPRO again set to real-time protection. DO you think I need SPYWAREGUARD as well? Or do you think that is like overkill? Or install it but not run it on real-time. DO you also think I should stop “SuperAntiSpyware Pro” running on real-time too? Again just using it when needed.

As well as trying to get rid of this frustrating problem I am keen to learn, as it help me teach my son who looks after his (he’s only 14!) schools computers. The more we learn of the wonders of these incredible machine & how to keep them running plus the knowledge gained, allows me to look after the local expat community who are mainly silver surfers well into their 70’s that appreciate someone like me calling round to help them out for the cost of a cuppa or a San Miguel 0%Alchohlo beer. If they have anything stronger their crashed out on the sofa for the day. :)

Anyhow I look forward to your reply. I shall also let you know how things go in the next few days. I hope your guys come back to me as I did submit an application to join geekstogo as we spoke of earlier. In the mean time keep well.
Regards Paul
PS. Again thanks for your your quick responce & the patience you have shown me.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
SpywareGuard is the best real-time protection program, so I would use that over SUPERAntiSpyware myself. No need to pay for that by the way, MalwareBytes and SpywareGuard are better. I would stop using SAS Pro though.

I am sure they will get back to you about your application, lot of these sites are busy lately cause there is a Microsoft MVP conference coming up, so they are preparing for that. Should see you soon though :)

Good tutorial while you wait for a reply

http://www.bleepingc...tutorial42.html

Let me know if you have any more questions, other than that, we are all done !

paulinspain

paulinspain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi!
I know, you didn’t expect me to be back so quick. :) I just downloaded "Startuplite" & went to install & .. You guessed it. It’s strange because I went through each of the folders in all three of my different "Downloads" files. Boringly named "Downloads", "My Downloads" & "Downloaded", each carrying different types of downloads. I had thought of calling one of them the “Wicky Wacky Program” file but you know how it is. "Startuplite" went in to "Downloads" on my C drive. I suspect I may have to go through each one & burn it to disk until the problem/culprit has disappeared.
Looking forward to your reply when convenient,

By the way I run IE7 so IESPYAD doesnt work with that. I do have firefox so I shall start to use that more. It's been a case of who & what I know to be honest. So shall I throw the computer in the pool now & be done with it?
Regards, Paul in sunny Spain

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Sorry not sure what you mean by this

until the problem/culprit has disappeared.

What seems to be the problem ?

paulinspain

paulinspain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
It's getting late sorry. :)

In order to try & help speed up my PC I downloaded "Startuplite" & as you suggested “Spyware Guard” into "My Downloads" folder on my C: drive as per normal for those type of programs. I then went to the folder "My Downloads" & was just scrolling through to find them when the Error Window, the very same error window popped up again! Each window refused to close until I clicked on the X in the top right corner of the error window 6 times. The same window reopened 8 times in total before it finally closed. The code seems to be exactly the same as the first one I sent “geekstogo.com”.

Speak to you tomorrw, have a good night, whats left of it,
Paul

paulinspain

paulinspain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Ah, I said it was late,
What I meant was, if the malware or spyware or virus or what ever it is it is hidden in one of my downloaded programs, maybe by copying the programs or Music files to CD or DVD one by one then deleting it from the hard drive eventually it will go & hopefully I will be able to work out exactly which one has the "Malware" attached. It's a long winded process though.
Paul

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
I can safely say it is not a malware problem, we have ran some intensive scans. Not sure what is causing it though

If it persists, then post in the Windows XP forum

Anything else or shall we close the thread ?

paulinspain

paulinspain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Ok. I agree.
Lets close it. Once again a big Thanks for your help,
regards Paul

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.